Lonely Planet review
A few historic homes – curiosities in this neighborhood – survived the 1950s urban clearance. The Law House is a Federal-style row house that was built by one of the first DC land speculators in 1796. From the same period, the Wheat Row houses , south of N St SW, have human-scale brick facades that add warmth to the neighborhood. Also in the park, near the Waterfront’s southern end, is the Titanic Memorial , honoring the men who sacrificed their lives to save the women and children aboard the sinking ship. Just south is Fort Lesley J McNair , an army post established in 1791 and burned by the British in 1814. The Lincoln-assassination conspirators were hanged at McNair in 1865; it now houses the National Defense University and National War College (closed to the public).