St Vincent’s Infant Asylum
This large, red-brick orphanage was built in 1864 with assistance from federal troops occupying the city. It helped relieve the overcrowded orphanages filled with youngsters of all races who lost their parents to epidemics. The orphanage is now a hotel, but a sign from orphanage days still hangs from the finely styled cast-iron gallery in front. Not open to the public.