Safeco Plaza

Lonely Planet review

Built in 1969, and originally known as 1001 Fourth Avenue Plaza, this was one of the city’s first real skyscrapers. At the time, 1001 Fourth Ave Plaza was a darling of the architectural world, though nowadays the 50-story bronze block looks dated. Locals nicknamed it ‘the box that the Space Needle came in'.

In the plaza outside is the Three Piece Sculpture: Vertebrae , a sculpture by Henry Moore – a result of Seattle’s ‘1% for art’ clause, under which 1% of the construction cost of the building is invested in public art.