Harrison Street Houses
New York’s most active public boathouse offers free walk-up 20-minute kayaking sessions (including equipment) in a protected embayment...
Award-winning Terroir keeps oenophiles upbeat with its well-versed, well-priced wine list. Drops span the Old World and New, among them...
Step through the velvet curtains into a scene of loosened button-downs, black dresses and slick barmen behind a long, crowded bar. This...
Harrison St · interesting places nearby
Harrison Street Houses information
Built between 1804 and 1828, the eight townhouses on the block of Harrison St immediately west of Greenwich St constitute the largest collection of Federal architecture left in NYC. Yet only the buildings at 31 and 33 Harrison St remain where they were originally constructed. The other six once stood two blocks away, on a stretch of Washington St that no longer exists.
In the early 1970s, that site was home to the Washington Market, a wholesale fruit and vegetable shopping complex. But development of the waterfront – which resulted in the construction of the Borough of Manhattan Community College and the Soviet-style concrete apartment complex that now looms over the townhouses – meant the market had to move uptown and the historic row of houses had to be relocated.