Our Lady of the Rosary Rectory
Built around 1834 as the home of Evariste Blanc, Our Lady of the Rosary Rectory exhibits a combination of styles characteristic of the...
St Louis Cemetery No 3
This relatively tiny cemetery was established in 1854 at the site of the old Bayou Cemetery and is worth strolling through for a few...
This historic house was built by Evariste Blanc, from 1816 to 1822, on land originally granted in 1720–1 to French Canadians. The...
Wait outside in that warm Esplanade air with clouds of Mid-City locals who swear by Lola’s paellas and fideuas (an angel-hair pasta...
1440 Moss St · interesting places nearby
Pitot House information
Come out to Bayou St John to stroll along the bayou (stagnant or not, it is scenic), enjoy a po’boy from the Parkway Tavern , catch one of the many concerts played on the median that runs through the bayou and gape at the gorgeous residences. You’re only allowed to enter one: Pitot House , a restored mansion with a lovely set of gardens in the back. This French colonial plantation-style house was built in 1799 and James Pitot, who was the first mayor of the incorporated city of New Orleans, acquired it in 1810. Built without corridors, the en suite (adjoining) interior rooms allow air to circulate through the louvered shutters on the windows and upstairs back porch. The house features a double-pitched roof and stucco-covered briquette entre poteaux construction