go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

New England


You will find lots of summer jobs at New England seaside and mountain resorts. These are usually low-paying service jobs filled by young people (often college students) who are happy to work part of the day so they can play the rest. If you want such a job, contact the local chambers of commerce or businesses well in advance. You can’t depend on finding a job just by arriving in May or June and looking around. In winter, contact New England’s ski resorts, where full- and part-time help is often welcome.

Foreigners entering the US to work must have a visa that permits it. Apply for a work visa from the US embassy in your home country before you leave. The type of visa varies, depending on how long you’re staying and the kind of work you plan to do. Generally, you need either a J-1 visa, which you can obtain by joining a visitor-exchange program (issued mostly to students for work in summer camps), or an H-2B visa, when you are sponsored by a US employer.

The latter can be difficult to procure unless you can show that you already have a job offer from an employer who considers your qualifications to be unique and not readily available in the US. There are, of course, many foreigners working illegally in the country. Controversial laws prescribe punishments for employers employing ‘aliens’ (foreigners) who do not have the proper visas. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Service offi­cers can be persistent and insistent in their enforcement of the laws.

Partner content

Teach English abroad with an i-to-i TEFL Course

If you’ve ever thought about living and working abroad, then why not teach English as a foreign language (TEFL)? It could be the key to funding your travels and experiencing new cultures in a totally new way. You don’t need teaching experience or even the ability to speak the local language – although you might learn it while you’re out there.

Start a new life teaching English abroad with i-to-i TEFL