Peanut Island information
Plopped right off the northeastern corner of West Palm, Peanut Island was created in 1918 by dredging projects. Originally named Inlet Island, the spit was renamed for a peanut-oil-shipping operation that failed in 1946. It has long been a popular spot for boaters to moor and party by day, and in 2005 the county invested $13 million into island rehabilitation, resulting in Peanut Island Park, which includes a pier, an artificial reef and some pretty sweet campsites.
There are no roads to the island. Visitors must either have their own boats or take the water taxi.