go to content go to search box go to global site navigation



Foreigners entering the US to work must have a visa that permits it. Apply for a work visa from the US embassy in your home country before you leave. The type of visa varies, depending on how long you are staying and the kind of work you plan to do. Generally, you need either a J-1 visa, which you can obtain by joining a visitor-exchange program, or an H-2B visa, when you are sponsored by a US employer. The latter can be difficult to procure unless you can show that you already have a job offer from an employer who considers your qualifications to be unique and not readily available in the US.

Business hours

Banks 8:30am to 4pm Monday through Friday; some banks open until 6pm Friday and 9am to noon Saturday.

Bars & Clubs Until midnight daily, often until 1am or 2am Friday and Saturday.

Businesses 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday

Restaurants 11:30am to 9pm or 10pm daily; some restaurants close from 2:30pm to 5:30pm; others open for breakfast from 6am to 10am.

Shops 9am or 10am to 6pm or 7pm Monday to Saturday; some also open noon to 5pm Sunday; major shopping areas and malls keep extended hours.

Partner content

Teach English abroad with an i-to-i TEFL Course

If you’ve ever thought about living and working abroad, then why not teach English as a foreign language (TEFL)? It could be the key to funding your travels and experiencing new cultures in a totally new way. You don’t need teaching experience or even the ability to speak the local language – although you might learn it while you’re out there.

Start a new life teaching English abroad with i-to-i TEFL