Turkey Walk and Sail
All content by World Expeditions
Explore the coastline and islands between Marmaris and Fethiye on foot from a comfortable Turkish gulet base
Cruising from Marmaris, around the Gocek Islands and on to Fethiye, this unique program offers the opportunity to see the best of the Turkish Lycian coast from sea and on foot. Walk along tracks still used by shepherds today, most of which are so remote they can only be accessed from the sea. There's plenty of time to relax and enjoy all that cruising along this stunning coastline offers. In the evening stay onboard a traditional Turkish Gulet which will sail from bay to bay as you walk along the coast. If you feel like relaxing and not walking, then just stay onboard and enjoy the view! The Captain and crew take excellent care of you ensuring you have great food and the best of Turkish hospitality.
- Walk coastal and mountain paths with stunning scenery
- Discover archaeological sites only accessible on foot
- Visit hidden bays
- Experience genuine cultural exchange with the local people
- Soak up the camaraderie of life on board a gulet
Day 1 Arrive Marmaris
On arrival in Marmaris, make your way to the boat (details provided) - we are happy to arrange airport transfers for you - supplement applies. Following dinner on board, where you will meet your crew, guide and fellow travellers, You can also take the opportunity to explore this bustling resort, whether it's shopping or enjoying the party atmosphere of the nightlife on Bar Street or just having a quiet evening on the boat, or a Turkish bath.
Day 2 Kumlubuk to ruins of a monastic village (2.5hrs)
From Marmaris we leave behind the busy port and cruise to a beautiful pebble beach close to Kumlubuk. Our walk takes us up through ancient mixed forests where we will find the remains of a Hellenistic village thought to be a Monastic community. We return to the gulet for lunch. There will be a chance to swim in the afternoon before we sail to a secluded bay where we cast anchor for the night.
Day 3 Walk to the village of Candir (3.5-4hrs) visit the ruins at Kaunos and hot springs
Our morning starts with a walk to the village of Candir where we board a river boat down the narrow waterways of the Dalyan river to see the amazing ruins at Kaunos with its rock hewn tombs built into the sheer cliff face hundreds of feet high in around 400BC. Following our time at the ruins we can bathe in the hot thermal baths or take a mud bath which according to local legend is said to knock 10 years from your age! Later we visit the protected Iztuzu beach, where you can enjoy the beautiful sandy beach. With its high mountains this place of considerable beauty is known locally as Turtle Beach as it is an important breeding ground for Caretta caretta loggerhead sea turtles.
Day 4 Walk from Aga Limani to the sunken Cleopatra's Bath, then to Sarsala Bay (4-5hrs)
Walk in the footsteps of Romans who moored their wooden sailing ships at Aga Limani which is the starting point for our walk. We follow a ruined Roman track to the remains of a Roman settlement before descending into a valley where we can take sage tea with a local Nomad family. Our 2-3 hour walk finishes where the remains of Cleopatra's Bath are now partially submerged, there's plenty of time for swimming and snorkelling amongst the ruins. Lunch onboard. A late afternoon walk in pine forest following the coast around to Sarsala Bay.
Day 5 Ancient burial tombs at Bedri Rami Bay as we make our way to Boynuz Bükü (2-3hrs)
The focus of the morning is the ancient burial tombs at Bedri Rami Bay which we visit before we begin our walk to Boynuz Bükü. The route takes us through forest of Liquid Amber before reaching our gulet.
Day 6 Scenic walk from Inlice (4hrs)
Today's coastal walk includes more incredible scenery with views around every turn.
Day 7 Visit to Tlos, Karakoy and the dramatic Saklikent Gorge (weather permitting)
The day begins with a drive up to the impressive ancient city of Tlos, considered one of the most important Lycian religious centres. It was here that the the Greek mythological hero and his winged flying horse Pegasus are said to have lived. Set high up in the hills behind Fethiye, with dramatic views to the sea, the ancient city has a series of temple type tombs cut out of the rock, a stadium and houses. Continuing to Saklikent gorge we stop for lunch by the river. The gorge visit will depend on the water levels - if there has been rain in the few days preceding it becomes unsafe to visit. Later we continue on to Kayaköy, a Greek village that was deserted in 1923 following the exchange of peoples between Turkey and Greece. The walking trail, the Lycian Way, traverses through this village and again, there are some scenic highlights to be had. Returning to the boat at Fethiye, we have the option to descend to the harbour on foot in the event that Saklikent Gorge was not visited.
Day 8 Trip concludes in Fethiye
This morning you say farewell to the crew. Onward own arrangements or an optional transfer to Dalaman Airport.
- Meals include 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 7 dinners *Breakfast is Turkish style and will generally include cheese (feta), olives, eggs, cucumber, tomatoes, jam, honey, bread, tea or coffee. *A cooked lunch is provided most days, with picnic style lunch where necessary *Dinner may include hot and cold appetisers, main course (using local produce), salad, and desert. *Vegetarians are easily catered for *drinking water is available on board - please bring your own waterbottle
- 7 nights in twin or double cabin with private facilities on board a Turkish gulet with linen and full crew (note: twin cabins are limited with number of cabins dependent on scheduled gulet)
- Harbour fees and diesel for 3-4 hours cruising per day
- English speaking walking guide
- Dalyan boat trip including Kaunos entrance tickets, mudbath entrance tickets, small boat hire and boat driver tips
- Fethiye excursion including coach travel, TLOS entrance tickets, Saklikent tickets (weather permitting - please note there will be no refund for unused tickets), cooked lunch, Kayakoy tickets and driver tips
Group Size Min
Group Size Max
Wet weather gear, sunscreen, walking boots, warm clothes, day pack and sun hat. A detailed packing list will be provided on booking.