Ulu Cami

sights / Religious

Ulu Cami information

Erzurum , Turkey
Cumhuriyet Caddesi
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The Ulu Cami, built in 1179 by Erzurum's Saltuk Turkish emir, is restrained but elegant. Seven aisles run north–south and six run east–west, resulting in a forest of columns and pointed arches. In the central north–south aisle, a striking stalactite dome opens to the heavens above the third bay. The bay before the mihrab (niche indicating the direction of Mecca), at the central aisle's southern end, sports two 'elephant-eye' windows and a traditional Anatolian kırlangıç (swallow) dome of overlapping wooden beams.