Çifte Minareli Medrese

sights / Architecture

Çifte Minareli Medrese information

Erzurum , Turkey
Address
Street Cumhuriyet Caddesi
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Lonely Planet review

Lying east of the centre, the single most definitive image of Erzurum dates from the 1200s when Erzurum was a wealthy Seljuk city, before suffering attack and devastation by the Mongols in 1242. The building is under restoration until 2015. Its facade exemplifies how the Seljuks liked to try out variation even while aiming for symmetry: the panels on either side of the entrance are identical in size and position but different in motif. The panel to the right bears the Seljuk eagle; to the left the motif is unfinished.

The twin brick minarets are decorated with eye-catching small blue tiles. The tops of the minarets are gone, having succumbed to the vagaries of Erzurum's violent history (even before the Ottomans claimed the town).

Walk to the back of the building to see the grand, 12-sided domed hall at the far end of the main courtyard from the entrance. It served as the Hatuniye Türbesi, or Tomb of Huand Hatun, the medrese's founder.