Lonely Planet review
The second imperial mosque built in İstanbul (after the Fatih Camii), Beyazıt Camii was built between 1501 and 1506 by order of Beyazıt II, son of Mehmet the Conqueror. Architecturally, it links Aya Sofya, which obviously inspired its design, with great mosques such as the Süleymaniye, which are realisations of Aya Sofya's design fully adapted to Muslim worship.
The mosque's exceptional use of fine stone is noteworthy, with marble, porphyry, verd antique and rare granite featuring. The mihrab is simple, except for the rich stone columns framing it. The courtyard features 24 small domes and a central ablutions fountain.
Of the original külliye buildings, the imaret has been turned into a library. Unfortunately the once-splendid hamam has been closed for many years. Beyazıt's türbe is behind the mosque.