7 days in Ethiopia. What should I do? (I'll be going north)
Replies: 5 - Last Post: Sep 23, 2013 1:32 PM Last Post By: Gringo_loco87
Sep 8, 2013 7:25 AM
7 days in Ethiopia. What should I do? (I'll be going north)I'm transitting through Ethiopia for a work trip at the end of September and decided to take a week vacation in Ethiopia. I'm lookin for suggestions on what to do. Here is my current itinerary:
-Sep 25: arrive in Addis from Juba
-Sep 26: meet with some friends who live in Addis but are only in town thru 27th. They have a business that I am interested in seeing. I anticipate seeing their business during the day, and checking out Addis in the evening.
-Sep 27: meet with friends who live in Addis but are only in town thru 27th. Will probably spend day seeing their business, and checking out Addis in the evening.
-Sep 28: morning flight to Lalibela, touring churches
-Sep 29: Morning hike to monastery above Lalibela? Drive to Axum?
-Sep 30: Spend day in Axum
-Oct: depart Addis at 10:15pm
A few questions:
1) I hear that there's a great monastery to hike to in Lalibela that is not a part of the 11 churches. I was thinking of doing this the day after touring the churches. If I did this though, I'd miss the flight to Axum that day. I could stay an extra night in Lalibela, or could I take some public transport to Axum in the afternoon?
2) how much time do I want to spend in Axum
3) how easy is it to travel from Axum to either Lake Tana or Bahar Dar? If I added one of them to the itinerary, what should I add?
4) Should I go from Axum to Tigray? How easy is that?
5) it seems that Meskel holiday will be in Lalibela September 27. Is this correct? Will it be hard to find a hotel? Also, I was planning on arriving in Lalibela on Sep 28 so I could spend time visiting my friends and their business in Addis on Sep 27. Should I ditch that to see Meskel holiday? Is it a once in a lifetime experience?
6) There's a developing possibility that my work will ask me to stay in Ethiopia for a meeting in Addis October 8, which would give me more time in the country. If this happens, what do you recommend I add to my itinerary?
Sep 9, 2013 8:26 AM
1Dear Gringo Loco,
Driving anywhere in Ethiopia can take a long time. Roads are not in good condition. And if you only have a week, it is better to fly.
If your international ticket is Ethiopian Air, then once in country you can buy very cheap domestic airfare to any of the main tourist cities like Axum or Lalibela.
My personal preference would be to skip Axum and organize a 2-3 day hike in the Simien Highlands. Great scenery, unique wildlife, once in a lifetime experience.
Here is the dependable and knowledgeable guide I used: Jemal Hussein firstname.lastname@example.org
His Website: http://www.explore-adventure-ethiopia.com/
I hope this helps.
Sep 9, 2013 9:14 AM
2Slight correction to last reply.
You do NOT have to come in on an Ethiopia Airlines plane to get the cheap domestic flight prices.
ANYONE buying tickets inside the country gets those prices.,
IF you want to book them before you arrive do NOT do so on their website.Get a local agent eg blueskyethiopia.com to do so.
If you want an excellent Addis city guide try ms genet mengistu.
see many references for her on Tripadvisor forums
Sep 10, 2013 4:04 AM
Your plan looks great, but here is some suggestion to add.
Day 1; flay from Addis –Lalibela
Afternoon visit Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela. Meskel will be colorful in Lalibela and no hotel problem
Day 2, Hike To Asheten Mariam Monastry church 1.30 Hur from, hike to Lalibela Hudad Eco-Lodge having lunch and return in the afternoon to Lalibela
Day3, drive to Gheraltha and visit some rock hewn churches of Tigray over night Gheralth Lodge
Day4, Drive to Axum, visit Axum
Day5, Drive to Gonder trough semian Mountian Nationl park overnight Gonder
Day 6, morning visit Gonder castle and afternoon drive to Bhir Dar let in the afternoon you can visit lake Tana Monastery.
Day7- back to addis
For more you can contact me email@example.com
I am a tour guide located Lalibela
Sep 10, 2013 3:27 PM
Sep 23, 2013 1:32 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't see your post until just now. I would definitely be interested in someone to travel with. I've been trying to make as many personal connections as possible (getting connected with friend's friends in each town). In some cases, I may be staying at people's houses. Below is my itinerary. Does this match yours at all? You're welcome to join if you want - I'm particularly hoping to find a group to join for trekking in the Simien Mountains.
Sept 25: Addis, stay with friends
Sep 26: Addis, spend time with friends, bonfire at Meskel Square in the evening
Sep 27: Addis, Meskel Festival, spend time with friends
Sep 28: fly to Axum
Sep 29: fly Lalibela, afternoon at churches
Sep 30: Lalibela: Morning hike up Mount Asheten to monastery
Oct 1: fly to Gondar, visit town
Oct 2: hike in Simien Mountains
Oct 3: Simien Mountains
Oct 4: Simien Mountains
Oct 5: drive to Bahirdar
Oct 6: visit the monasteries in Lake Tana
Oct 7: Bahir Dar, fly to Addis
Oct 8: work meeting in Addis
Check out all our reviewed and recommended accommodation and book online.