Driving from Brisbane to Cairns
Replies: 5 - Last Post: Jul 6, 2013 1:26 PM Last Post By: lizzynetherlands
Jun 27, 2013 9:02 AM
Driving from Brisbane to CairnsHello everyone :)
I'm looking to take the drive from Brisbane to Cairns with a rental car.
I know this is going to be expensive, but in my opinion worth it. I just think there is so much see on the coast.
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good hostels to stay in along the way or websites that will show you some scenic routes and times/tolls/ etc.
Jun 27, 2013 1:02 PM
Jun 27, 2013 4:16 PM
2I think it will be ok to drive into the cities; there are mostly just towns between Brisbane and Cairns and parking shouldn't be an issue once you're out of Brisbane.
Would rather rely on hotel reviews on some of the big hotel booking sites with up-to-date reviews instead of asking in a forum - quite often a hostel can go from good to awful in a few months if the management changes.
Jun 27, 2013 8:06 PM
3Actually, much of this drive is extremely dull. And the highway doesn't touch the coast until Townsville.
There are sections such as Maryborough to the Rockhampton turn off and then to Mackay with 400 klms of absolute nothing.
And, there's not really any other road. So, you need to turn off the highway, and turn off a lot, and then double back.
- North of Brisbane duck off the highway and travel along "Steve Irwin Way" to get up close to the glass house mountains.
- The Sunshine Coast is worth a diversion, especially Noosa, at the north end. But you could head for Caloundra and Mooloolaba and follow the coast up to Noosa.
- At Maryborough divert to Hervey Bay and see Fraser Island, You either have to take a tour or hire a 4WD as there are no rods on the island, it's all sand. But it's a stunning place and a must see.
- Agnes Water.Town of 1770 is a great spot to stay on the coast. Well worth a diversion and stay here.
- Gladstone is awful, industrial, coal port. Keep driving.
- Rockhampton is an interesting town, but again, not a must see or particularly scenic. Instead maybe head to the coast here at Yepoon.
- I'd skip Mackay and instead divert to Airlie Beach. This is the gateway to the Whitsundays. Spend a lot of time here. Take a cruise to the reef and Whitehaven beach.
- Townsville is a bit disappointing, but the waterfront area, and Magnetic Island are worth a look.
- Mission beach is a lovely spot
- Cairns is the major city, big, touristy and the gateway to the reef and Daintree Rainforest. Beaches like Port Douglas, see Mossman Gorge etc.
I've missed out inland sites as I don't have a lot of experience of these places north of Brisbane. I do however love the Gold Coast Hinterland just to the south which is well worth a diversion.
Jun 28, 2013 5:02 PM
Jul 6, 2013 1:26 PM
Fraser IslandBook now
(3 star Hotel)
From US$116.10 per night
(4 star Hotel)
From US$146.21 per night
Hervey BayBook now
(0 star Hotel)
From US$27.17 per night