short trip to Cairo
May 16, 2013 6:05 AM
short trip to CairoGreetings. this was originally posted in the ME forum, but I think this is the better place.
I am a fairly well-traveled person...have been to China 3x and India 2x in the past few years. I am planning on taking a big trip to India around Christmas time, but could squeeze in a 6-10 day trip in the summer, and I am thinking of Egypt, and Cairo in particular.
My main interest is photography and street scenes and architecture and markets. I am assuming Cairo would fit this well, right? I have a few specific questions. I have not done much specific research yet, so I apologize if these are pretty basic:
1. Cairo is suitable for lots of good street photograpy right? In other words, there is lots to shoot around Islamic Cairo and Old Cairo, right?
2. I dont have a strong desire to see the pyramids, but should I? To give you a reference, when I went to India for the 1st time, I didnt have a strong desire to see the Taj, but liked it.
3. How many days do you think I can do Cairo in? I have no desire to spend all day in museums...as stated above, photography is the main reason I like traveling.
4. What about some good side trips? I really like small towns with markets...any suggestions? Would some of the oasis towns be good for me you think? I have less of a desire to see Luxor or a place like that, and more of a desire to see a non-touristy smaller town with interesting stuff to photograph. I heard Aswan is a good market town to check out...are there similar towns closer by Cairo to look at? I am planning on going to the Camel bazaar if I go...the one near Cairo.
5. Is Cairo and Egypt overall pretty safe? I am adventerous and never felt unsafe in China or India, if this is a help. I am a male and understand the need to respect local culture and not go out of my way to antagonize people. Since I voluntarily went back to India the second time, I am obviously totally fine with crowds, chaos, and dirt.
6. What are the trains like in Egypt?
Check out all our reviewed and recommended accommodation and book online.