Challenges and tips for this Brazil-Argentina itinerary?
Replies: 2 - Last Post: Apr 4, 2013 5:26 PM Last Post By: VivianePB
Apr 3, 2013 10:19 PM
Challenges and tips for this Brazil-Argentina itinerary?I'm posting this in the Brazil forum as well. I'm a lone woman traveller with an unusual itinerary coming up near the end of April, and I was wondering what I needed to take into account regarding practical and security issues, especially at border crossings. As a Canadian, I'm aware that I will have to pay a reciprocity fee before entering Argentina (I will most likely pay it online before leaving home).
- Flight to Florianopolis
- Bus from Florianopolis to Uruguaiana (arrival at 1:30am! with Pluma)
- Border crossing to Paso de los Libres (Argentina) in the middle of the night
- Bus from Paso de los Libres to Mercedes (apparently unsafe?)
- Local van (or bus?) from Mercedes to Carlos Pellegrini
- Tour of los Esteros del Ibera
- 4X4 ride shared from Carlos Pellegrini to Posadas
- Bus from Posadas to Iguazu
- Border crossing at Iguazu (not just for the day but to stay in Brazil)
- Bus to Curitiba (with Catarinense)
- Flight back to Canada
Apr 4, 2013 2:14 AM
My, that's an interesting itinerary! I don't see why the route from Paso de Los Libres should be particularly dangerous - Argentina is one of the safer countries on the continent. Getting from Mercedes to Pellegrini is straightforward, there is a bus or you can find 4x4 rides quite easily. Getting out of Pellegrini to Posadas is, or at least was, more complicated. There is no (or again, around October 2011, there was no) regular service northwards from Pellegrini - the road is a little rough. We were lucky enough to hitch a ride with a group of local students to Santo Tomé, from where there is regular service to Posadas.
Unless some form of regular transportation has been started, you can speak to the staff at the reserve office, who may put you in touch with people heading your way - that's how we found our lift.
Enjoy your trip - Iberá is a very special place!
Apr 4, 2013 5:26 PM
Check out all our reviewed and recommended accommodation and book online.