Mompox vs Barichara
Replies: 3 - Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 4:52 AM Last Post By: Valderrama
Feb 2, 2013 12:36 PM
Feb 2, 2013 1:48 PM
1. Both lovely places - it's hard to choose one over the other. Barichara has the advantage of being very close to San Gil, which is a nice place to do some kayaking, for example. Mompox is further off the beaten track - it feels like life hasn't changed in centuries there. If you really, really pushed me, I would put Mompox at number one for sheer atmosphere. You can also do some scenic river trips from there - we didn't due to lack of time. And then, and then...from Barichara you can take the Camino Real to Güane, a lovely 2-hour-or-so easy walk amid glorious scenery. Ouch, this is such a tricky choice. Put it this way, you won't be disappointed with either.
Some pics of all these places - perhaps they'll help you choose! You've asked a tough question though.
2. Mompox - one full day will allow you to soak in the atmosphere. A day and a half possibly even better. Mompox gets incredibly hot in the middle of the day and everything shuts. It's part of the charm! If you stay there, highly recommend La Casa Amarilla to stay and food stalls on town squares for meals. Delicious!
3. Barichara: one full day allowing for the Camino Real walk and a wonder around town. Villa de Leyva, say a day and a half including a horseback trip around the valley, to see the dinosaur fossils (housed in a cute museum) and stone willies (yes!).
Feb 3, 2013 2:40 AM
1) Very difficult to choose. I visited both last November and I'm not able to say which one you need to see. I can't choose.
They are very different. Mompox is very "out of date". Reach it is by itself a part of the trip. Using a chalupa from/to Mangange is a great moment of your travel in Colombia.
Barichara is more easy to reach, close to San Gil and also close to others "highlights" of this part of Colombia. If you want to eat ants, there is a wonderful place there.
If you time is limited, maybe Barichara is the place to choose.
2) One full day in Mompox is enough. Try to take a canoe to the Rio Magdalena in the afternoon (3-4 pm)
3) It depend if you want only visit the two places or moving around. You have a lot to see/to do around.
Feb 3, 2013 4:52 AM
(0 star Hotel)
From US$11.58 per night
San AndrésBook now
(3 star Hotel)
From US$342.00 per night
(4 star Hotel)
From US$118.67 per night