Replies: 7 - Last Post: Jan 21, 2013 6:41 AM Last Post By: sarah1111
Jan 15, 2013 2:12 PM
Budget accommodationNow that the forum is open again, I'd like about the most recent experiences regarding budget accommodation in
Cheapest options available? Any recommendations? Dorms available? Anyone who last resort options like rolling out the sleeping the reception hall?
- has anyone stayed is Shwe Pyae Sone guesthouse in Sagaing? How much and how to get there?
- what about Emperor's Motel in Bago - still there, how much, chances to get a room as a walk-in guest?
- I probably should be fine in Monywa and Pyay as less people stay there - right ... or probably very wrong?
I have to admit I feel nervous about the upcoming trip - any help is very much appreciated.
Jan 15, 2013 4:07 PM
- Please take a look at my trip report post a few down from yours, just posted today. I provided very detailed info with budget places to stay and prices. I just got back a week ago. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2290301&messageID=20647809#20647809
- Are you traveling alone? Single rooms? Shared bath ok?
- There are no dorms. Guesthouses with private rooms. Some have rooms with shared baths.
- Cheapest options will be around $17-20 for a double with a shared bath in all of those places.
- It shouldn't be too hard to walk up and get a room. Depends on when you're going. I went during Christmas/NYE which is the highest of high seasons and it was still possible to get budget accommodations because a lot of them don't take reservations. Just try to take night buses and arrive early if possible.
Jan 15, 2013 9:50 PM
2Yes, this time I am travelling alone, single rooms will be very much ok (any price difference with double rooms?) and shared baths are also fine.
I think this time around, the challenge is probably to get a room without breaking the budget.
Thanks for your report, I will use the "night bus strategy" and someone can recommend specific places, especially in Bagan and Mandalay, this would be very helpful.
Jan 16, 2013 7:39 AM
3#3 is spamming.
Yes, single rooms are cheaper and some budget guesthouses have shared bathrooms and those rooms are cheaper.
We stayed at Pyinsa Rupa Guesthouse in Bagan as I mention in my report. Double room with shared bath was $17, so I would guess single is $10-12. It's not the nicest place in town, but it worked fine for us if you're looking for cheap. It's one of the cheapest.
In Yangon, Sunflower Inn is one of the cheapest. $10 for a single room with a fan and shared bath. They have an email so you can make a reservation. Not the nicest place either, but convenient location and has WiFi.
In this price range, most places aren't that nice and not super clean, just FYI. This is the absolute cheapest.
Jan 16, 2013 1:34 PM
4As for Pyinsa Rupa in Bagan - singles (w bathroom) are $15. The bathrooms are a bit prison style, but the rooms are quite spacious and quiet - I've got a double room with single occupation. The breakfast is not bad as well.
In Yangon, I'd go for Tokyo GH. The single rooms (13-15 USD) are a bit smallish and w/o windows, but with good A/C. I really liked the vibe there, as well as the big common area (with wi-fi). The staff speaks good English and they reply to emails on a daily basis.
In Mandalay Royal GH is acceptable. 15 USD for a nice single w/bathroom. Just don't ask them to provide any transportation, as they will overcharge twice (or more).
Jan 16, 2013 6:40 PM
5I think I might have been the #3 that the new #3 was referring to.
I wasn't spamming, but apparently it's against the rules now to say when you had good experience at a particular establishment (or was it because I mentioned a bad one at another?).
So I'm not going to bother responding any more. PM me if you want my recommendation in Yangon.
Jan 17, 2013 12:57 PM
Jan 21, 2013 6:41 AM
7Would highly reccomend Kuang Lay Inn in Yangon. We got a very nice and clean room for 30$, which is cheap by Yangon standards. Helpful polite staff, nice balcony restaurant for breakfast, quiet side street. It's not right in the downtown area but thats maybe why it's better value, only a 10 min 2000-kyat taxi ride away. walking distance to shwedagon pagoda. So much better than the musty downtown guesthouses we stayed in for similar price or more.
(5 star Hotel)
From US$486.23 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$134.48 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$255.96 per night