Nile cruise and western desert safari detailed questions !! urgent. :)
Replies: 2 - Last Post: Dec 20, 2012 9:06 PM Last Post By: pili_pala
Dec 18, 2012 8:56 PM
Nile cruise and western desert safari detailed questions !! urgent. :)Hi all
I've read through some of the posts already, but still have the following questions on two things: Nile Cruise and Desert safari. Many many thanks in advance for any suggestions and answers!
1. Any difference to take th cruise from Luxor to Aswan vs Aswan to Luxor? I've noticed there were alot more advertised cruise from Aswan to Luxor. Is it any particular reason why one should be preferred over the other?
2. I know people have suggested to check out the boat before boarding, which we will do. But any particular good experience with any company worth recommending? I'm particularly interested in GOOD egyptologist guide and descent accommodation. GOOD food will also win brownie points.
3. How many days should we take the boat? 3D2N or 4D3N or 5D4N? Which sites are must-see as part of the cruises - so that we won't have to do them on our own before/after the cruise
4. We will probably have a couple more days in both Luxor and Aswan before and after the cruise, what would be some of the recommendations? I'm thinking, balloon ride over west bank and day trip to Dendarah and Abydos in Luxor. For Aswan, i'm thinking Abu Simbel and Nubian village for 1 day trip if possible. Any of the island near Aswan worth visiting - Philae island, elephantine island and a third island whose name i've forgotten?
5. How much/ range do we expect to pay for a descent 5D4N cruise for say 2 people twin share?
6. Which company should we book? Any good experience/recommendations?
We are interested in: experiencing local life in the desert, riding camel, star gazing at night camp, waking up to a desert sunrise, maybe sandboarding, just something unique to remember.
7. Any must see sites or recommended sites? Black desert? Magic oasis? crystal mountain? mushroom dunes? White desert?
8. how many days? generally, tours are around 3D2N or 4D3N. Which better?
9. We probably will try to ask the driver to send us to Alexandria after the camping trip. Is it worth going to Alexandria?
10. Approximate price for 3 people?
Many many thanks!!! I will probably post up my itinerary later just for sanity check.
Edited by: pili_pala
Dec 20, 2012 12:00 AM
We have sailed the Nile in a Felucca from Aswan to Luxor as well as seen the western desert oases of: Dahkla, Mut, Qasr, Siwa and Bahariya...all of which are fantastic. However, we did all of this independently and on a backpacker's budget. I'm not sure what your budget is but it seems like it is quite high (you mentioned hot-air balloon rides and a cruise!). The river flows South to North, therefore it's easier to sail from Aswan to Luxor.
So, I can't comment on the cost of a 'cruise' down the Nile. We took a felucca boat (like a sail boat) for 3 nights/4 days and it was outstanding. The cost of it was $150/night (for 6 people) including meals. Definitely make sure your boat will stop at Kom Ombo and Edfu ruins along the banks of the Nile River, those are stunning ruins!
The Great Sand Sea in Siwa Oasis is amazing and you can drive over the dunes there and sandboard if you like. We arranged all of that when we got to Siwa.
The Mushroom Dunes, Crystal Mountain, White Desert and Black desert can all be seen out of Bahariya. Again, we organized our overnight trip when we arrived at our guesthouse. All of those sights are great!
Our best memories of Egypt are from the western desert villages and the Nile River. For us personally, Alexandria could have done with a miss.
Check out our Budget Backpacking Guide To Egypt here for tips on sleeping, eating, costs, sights, must-do's, off the beaten path places, weather, pros and cons, health, etc.
Have a look at our Egypt Travel Blogs here.
Egypt is our favourite country, have a great time!
Goats On The Road
Dec 20, 2012 9:06 PM
(1 star Hotel)
From US$15.00 per night
Nile Valley: LuxorBook now
(4 star Hotel)
From US$34.34 per night
Nile Valley: LuxorBook now
(5 star Hotel)
From US$90.01 per night