Best Daytrips Out of Athens
Replies: 4 - Last Post: Dec 10, 2012 7:44 AM Last Post By: o_akakios
Dec 7, 2012 8:54 AM
Best Daytrips Out of AthensI'll be in Athens next March for 6 full days and would like to go somewhere outside the city for one day.
I'm therefore interested in reading what you think are the best daytrips (no overnight stay) out of Athens.
Details about how you did it (the logistics) and why you liked it will be appreciated.
Dec 7, 2012 11:26 AM
2Argolis has many great sights. You can see several if you rent a car, like Nafplio, Epidavros and Mykenes (and the Corinth Canal), fewer if you use the bus, but even a day in beautiful Nafplio, with all the sights there, is a lovely day trip.
Read about the places here: http://www.visitnafplio.com
Bus route here: http://www.ktel-argolidas.gr/?module=default&pages_id=41&lang=en
Dec 9, 2012 12:39 AM
3I would stick with wider Athens area, for example Piraeus or Glyfada or Kifissia or Alsos Papagou are completely different than the very city center. In case you meet sunny weather, it is only a 45 minutes bus ride from center to Glyfada where you can have a stroll by the waterfront, enjoy a coffee, maybe visit the Sea Turtles' rescue center, then move towards Glyfada center for some fancy shopping or fine dinning. Piraeus has some very nice spots away from the port area, you could take metro to Faliro and walk 15 minutes to Mikrolimano harbor for some posh coffee/drink or fish food then walk to Kastela or take metro all the way to port, walk 20 minutes to Marina Zeas/Pasalimani fish boat/yaught marinas, visit the great Archeological museum and enjoy the views and all the hustle and bustle around the waterfront. Or you may take metro to Katechaki stop and walk 20 minutes or so to Alsos Papagou, a pleasant pine tree park with artificial lakes and a great cafe/restaurant place in the middle. You can always take metro to Kiffisia for some shopping and walking around soaking in the ambiance and watch how wealthy Athenians live, in some cases in old pretty manors... You could always head to Maroussi with its nice malls and great shopping or even head to Attica Zoo Park near the airport. Many options, no need to stray away from Athens.
Dec 10, 2012 7:44 AM
here are my favourtite destinations:
1. Cape Sounion, Poseidon Temple and town of Lavrion (by bus)
2. Marathon dam, Schinias beach, Marathon archeological site (by bus)
3. Porto Germeno coastal village and Aegosthenes ancient fortification (by bus)
out of Attica
1. City of Halkida (by bus and train)
2. Ancient Corinth, Acrocorinthos castle and channel of Corinth (better by car)
3. Cruise to island of Aegina: Aphaea temple, Paleochora churches, Perdika village
4. Cruise to islands of Poros, Hydra, Spetses
5. Argolis: Epidauros, town of Nafplio, Mycenae, Tiryns (by car)
6. Mountainous Corinthia: Stymphalia lake, village of Goura, Pheneos lake, Nemea archeological site, Nemea wineries (by car)
Have a good time!
Edited by: o_akakios
(5 star Hotel)
From US$377.88 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$98.25 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$162.32 per night