Travel Insurance that Would Permit Cancellation if Pregnant?
Replies: 2 - Last Post: Dec 1, 2012 1:09 PM Last Post By: teeanni
Nov 30, 2012 3:13 PM
Travel Insurance that Would Permit Cancellation if Pregnant?I would like to plan a trip through eastern and southern Africa for next summer (June - August). I am, however, a bit concerned that if between now and then I became pregnant, that most travel insurers do not seem to allow refunds (flights/tours) with pregnancy as the reason. I don't want to put my life on hold because I might become pregnant, but on the other hand I am a bit nervous about the large expenses for arranging flights and tours. I also am concerned that some things I wish to book at specific dates sell out, which is why I'd like to make some arrangements now if I can find a way to have some peace of mind regarding the ability to get some of the upfront expenses refunded if I do become pregnant.
Is there any difference regarding how it is handled with travel insurance if my tour/flights will be to malarial areas and ones requiring yellow fever vaccination, which are both recommended against for pregnant women? If I was just going for a holiday in the U.K. or somewhere that wouldn't require prophylaxis such as I'd need in Africa, then I understand that the companies don't want to always permit cancellation due to pregnancy, but I thought perhaps it is different with situations such as this where women are advised to avoid travel if possible while pregnant due to the medical precautions necessary. I realize that some anti-malarials are considered ok to use while pregnant, but I'd still be a bit uncomfortable about it, especially regarding the yellow fever.
If you are aware of or have a recommendation for an insurance carrier with whom cancellation would be possible if I were to become pregnant between when I purchase the coverage and when I am due to travel, please let me know. I realize I would need to contact any insurer directly for definitive answers, but since I've never had travel insurance, I thought recommendations here would be a good place to start to help me narrow down the possibilities. I live in the United States.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Nov 30, 2012 8:47 PM
1Just a thought, if you are really set to do this trip and you plan on putting months of time into planning it and expending a lot of money on flights, etc, why don't you just take extra precautions to ensure you won't get pregant before then? I don't know your business, as to whether you have been trying to get pregnant for a while and so if it happens you'll be very happy, or if you are just throwing this out there as a possibility. If it's the latter, then your options are abstinence (no fun but effective!), or utilzing two types of methods to double-protect yourself (even the pill is not 100% effective).
If you and your partner have been trying to conceive for a while and this is very important to you to have a child, then this would likely have to take priority over trip planning and you may have to accept the fact that there will be no trip while you are attempting to conceive.
Not sure any of this helps but just throwing it out there.
Dec 1, 2012 1:09 PM
2nicole, I'm in the trying to get pregnant category... but I think my likelihood is somewhat low. As a result I was hoping there was some way that I could plan for the trip so that when the summer comes around I won't be dejected due to not being pregnant and also not being able to take the trip (Africa is a dream destination). There was a tour I was eyeing, but since I first saw it until now, all of the spots for the departure date I could've done have already booked, so I'm a bit agitated with the idea of waiting too long since I think people plan ahead more for the kinds of things I want to do than for some other destinations, and things book earlier (I have traveled independently in many places, but for this trip I want to take an organized tour). The deposits are rather large, so I was hoping someone may have some insight on this particular topic.
Can anyone confirm that most insurers would still not allow cancellation for pregnancy, even if it the tour I've booked (insured with them) takes me through areas where yellow fever is endemic? Or would that make it a situation where cancellation would become possible due to the health concerns being more substantial?
(4 star Hotel)
From US$189.00 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$144.00 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$169.00 per night