Romania - 2-week itinerary
Replies: 6 - Last Post: Nov 30, 2012 4:59 AM Last Post By: lucymo
Nov 26, 2012 1:46 AM
Romania - 2-week itineraryHello,
My husband and I are going to be spending 2 weeks in Romania next May. I have my itinerary nearly sorted out (see below), but just have a couple of questions regarding travel and how much time to spend in certain areas.
My questions are:
1. We'll be travelling by train or bus. I've currently planned my route as Brasov-Sibiu-Sighisoara-Cluj. Is this the best route, or would it be easier to go Brasov to Sighisoara, then Sibiu, and then Cluj? I've become a little confused about all the train routes.
2. I've planned for us to have a couple of days in Sighet so we can do a tour of the villages and cemetery, and maybe do some cycling. I was wondering if we should also spend a night at a Maramures village homestay after two days in Sighet, or if the two days would be enough and I should use the spare day somewhere else in my itinerary?
3. If a Maramures homestay would be a good idea, could anyone suggest a good village to stay in? I've read about the villages in the Lonely Planet but have struggled to select one.
Thanks very much in advance for your help!
Here is my itinerary:
Day 1 Arrive in Bucharest
Day 2 Train to Brasov
Day 3 Brasov
Day 4 Day trip to Bran and Rasnov
Day 5 Day trip to Sinaia
Day 6 Train Brasov to Sibiu, look around Sibiu
Day 7 Train Sibiu to Sighisoara, look around Sighisoara
Day 8 Saxon villages, evening train to Cluj Napoca and overnight train to Suceava
Day 9 Arrive in Suceava, day trip of monasteries
Day 10 Travel Suceava to Sighet
Day 11 Sighet
Day 12 Villages, happy cemetery, etc
Day 13 Maramures farmstay?
Day 14 Train Sighet (5pm) to Bucharest
Day 15 Bucharest, fly out in evening
Nov 26, 2012 11:41 AM
1It would make more sense to do Maramures right after Transylvania, before going into Bucovina
1, Do Sighisoara as a day trip from Brasov, do Sibiu as a day trip from Brasov as well (although it's worth more time) and then just catch the overnight train from Brasov to Sighet.
2. Spending a night at a rural guesthouse ( or even using it as a base for your whole stay in Maramures) would be a very good idea if you plan to rent a car for that region. If not, it's probably better to stay in Sighet.
As for the general itinerary, apart from the above suggestion to do Maramures right after Transylvania, you should also do Sinaia on day 2 because t's on the train route between Bucharest and Brasov.
You could go like this:
Day 2: train to Sinaia and on to Brasov
Days 3-7: Brasov and day trips to nearby places (Sibiu, Sighisoara, Bran&Rasnov, a few German villages etc.)
Day 8: Brasov, overnight train to Sighet
Days 9-11: Maramures
Day 12: Sighet, bus from Sighet to Gura Humorului
Days 12-13: visit monasteries
Day 14: Suceava, overnight train to Bucharest.
Nov 27, 2012 8:45 AM
Thanks very much for those suggestions, that is really helpful. I will change the itinerary around to do Maramures before Bucovina.
A couple of questions about your other suggestions:
1. I wanted to spend a couple of days in Sighisoara so we could see the town and then spend a day touring the villages. Would a day trip from Brasov be enough for all this?
Also, isn't Sibiu quite a long train trip from Brasov, so would be hard to do as a day trip?
Perhaps we could visit these places from Brasov and stay a night or two in each, and then return to Brasov to get the train on to Sighet?
2. Re Sinaia, my reasoning was that it might be easier to do as a day trip as it is only an hour from Brasov and then we could just spend a day there without worrying about luggage etc. But alternatively we could spend the night there and then go on to Brasov.
Thanks again for your help!
Nov 27, 2012 11:41 AM
31. Half day is enough to see Sighisoara, you can certainly do it as a day trip from Brasov.
You can also tour some old German villages directly from Brasov.
Brasov to Sibiu is slightly under 3 hours by normal train or 2 1/2 hours by bus. With an early start you could do Sibiu as a day trip, although if you can it would be better to spend a full day and night there.
2. You can leave your luggage at the storage office at Sinaia train station, go visit the castle then get back to the station, pick up your things and catch a train to Brasov.
Nov 28, 2012 6:40 AM
Nov 28, 2012 10:45 AM
5Sighet villages is a bit of a tough one as there are several options worth considering. Maybe Breb, it gets quite busy but lots of tradition and nice countryside, Borsana has its monastery and some nice accommodation but really busy, Poinelle Isa much more remote nice church lovely countryside, Glod very remote but has a very nice swimming pool i think i could go on for half an hour. Sighet is a good option for looking around the area lots of transport easy access to most villages and the merry cemetery and the south of the Ukraine.
Nov 30, 2012 4:59 AM
6Thanks Rob (Cobwobs Rob I assume?) You also helped me with my itinerary earlier this year (our Romania trip has unfortunately been delayed!)
That's good to know that Sighet is a good place for looking around. We don't intend to hire a car, and the way our itinerary is looking at the moment we have a spare day, so perhaps I could spend it in Sighet. I know you run lots of trips around the area, so that would be a good way to see things and use up our spare day.
(0 star Hotel)
From US$4.82 per night
(0 star Hotel)
From US$10.32 per night
(0 star Hotel)
From US$14.45 per night