itinerary check, Belize
Replies: 5 - Last Post: Dec 2, 2012 3:07 PM Last Post By: shauna_sun
Nov 19, 2012 4:05 PM
itinerary check, Belize
Here is the itinerary for our Belize trip:
Mon, Dec. 17th -- Arrive BZE @ 11:25am
(45-60 minutes to get out of airport)
Taxi to bus station, Belize City
Bus to San Ignacio
Check in at Rosa’s Hotel
Tues, Dec. 18th -- Black Hole
Wed, Dec. 19th
Thurs, Dec. 20th -- ATM Cave
Fri, Dec. 21st -- Cahal Pech Festival starts @ 4am
Bus to Belize City
Taxi to N. Front Street
Water taxi to Caye Caulker
Check in at Yuma’s House
(OR check in at Blue Wave Guest House?)
Sat, Dec. 22nd -- Fishing in AM
Relax & mingle
Sun, Dec. 23rd -- Diving @ Blue Hole
Mon, Dec. 24th -- Christmas Eve—eat, drink, and be merry!
Tues, Dec. 25th -- Christmas Day!!
Check in at Ambergris Caye
Wed, Dec. 26th -- Diving
Thurs, Dec. 27th -- Water Taxi to Belize City
Bus to Dangriga
Bus to Punta Gorda—get off at Maya Centre
Taxi to Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary
Set up camp
Fri, Dec. 28th -- Hiking (Outlier Trail?)
(Bring bug spray, long sleeve, swim suit, sunscreen)
Sat, Dec. 29th -- Hiking
Tubing South Stann Creek
Sun, Dec. 30th -- Taxi to Maya Centre
Bus to Dangriga to Belize City
Taxi to BZE
Depart BZE @ 5pm
1. Yuma's House is not taking any reservations until Dec. 1st...is it likely that we will be able to reserve a private room there? (There are three of us) Should I book with Blue Wave Guest House? They have availability for those dates...
2. Am I allowing enough time for traveling to Caye Caulker? To Cockscomb Basin? Returning to BZE?
3. Should we plan on staying the last night in Belize City to be safe on time?
4. I keep reading that there are campsites at Cockscomb Basin as well as dormitories, but I cannot figure out how to reserve any sites/beds. Does anyone know where I can do this? I just emailed an address that was on the website, so hopefully I will get a response from them.
5. Will it be boring staying at Rosa's Hotel? What activities are there to do in San Ignacio that are free?
6. Is there anything else on my itinerary that we should be warned of? Anything that might surprise us?
7. Will it be easy to book last minute tours in San Ignacio? What about dive trips from Caye Caulker and/or Ambergris Caye?
Thank you so much for any advice you can give us!! We really appreciate it.
Edited by: shauna_sun
Nov 19, 2012 6:00 PM
Nov 19, 2012 6:29 PM
21. All you can do is keep trying. Bella's is the other backpackers place on CC, but I don't know if they have a private room.
2. With your current plan, you're backtracking a bit by going from SI to CC, then back to Belmopan to head south. Why not head south from San Ignacio and finish the trip on CC? Did you want to spend Christmas on CC? Another option would be to go from CC to Placencia on the Raggamuffin sailing trip.
3. You can make it to the airport on the day of your departure, but it will be an early morning start. You'll need to be in Dangriga by 11:30 am because that's the departure time of the James Bus Line bus to Belize City. You'll arrive in BC at about 2:30 pm giving you enough time to get a taxi to the airport.
5. San Ignacio is a small town -- not a lot to do or see in town. Most people use SI as a base for the other activities in the region. For free, in town, you can visit a small display at Cahal Pech (there's a fee to continue into the site), or visit the local library. I haven't stayed at Rosa's. The backpacker place is the Hi-Et -- you'll meet more people there.
7. At that time of year, tourist season is starting to kick into high gear. I'd get in early for tours and diving -- don't leave anything to the last minute.
Nov 19, 2012 10:07 PM
3As always, Good advice from Mr. Bee. Yes, better to go south from San Ignacio and finish up on Caye Caulker. Then you will have no problem getting to the airport on your last day and won't be all tired out from traveling. I also agree with Eddy. You may want to just visit Ambergris on a day trip that can include snorkeling on the way and lunch in San Pedro. You will see what I mean when you get there. The rest of your trip looks pretty good. As for hotels, I am sure you will find a place in San Igancio...there are many to choose from. I would make reservations if I were going to Caye Caulker around Christmas but not otherwise. Trips and tours should always be intitiated the night before. The tour operators don't even know whats up until they actually talk to you in person. The only other thing is carrying camping stuff around. I prefer to get a room, even a cheap room and travel light.
Nov 20, 2012 8:50 AM
4The next time for sure ed went to Martinez Chicken Shack after the locals showed him displeasure when he snubbed their hometown chicken after first arriving in town.
Dec 2, 2012 3:07 PM
(3 star Hotel)
From US$155.00 per night
Belize CityBook now
(0 star Hotel)
From US$22.00 per night
San Ignacio (Cayo)Book now
(0 star Hotel)
From US$6.25 per night