Leaving for Sicily in 2 weeks and need help, please!
Replies: 7 - Last Post: Oct 10, 2012 1:49 AM Last Post By: BthDth
Oct 3, 2012 2:14 PM
Leaving for Sicily in 2 weeks and need help, please!We are leaving for Sicily in 2 weeks and need help, please!
I just ordered the Lonely Planet PDF guide book, but I still need help to help narrow things. We've booked flights into Palermo and out of Catania. We are travelling with our 2.5 year old son so that will influence our itinerary. We know we are limited in time (9 full days not counting the arrival and departure days) so we understand we can’t see it all. Also, with a toddler we are limited in moving around too much. We are looking to stay in one hotel in Palermo and one hotel in the east (maybe Siracusa?).
I have so any questions!
- We arrive around 23:00. Seems like we might be stuck using a taxi to get into the city and to our hotel easily. Right?
- As for the hotel, suggestions are welcome! We don't need luxury, but would like some comfort and it must be clean!
- What to do? We will rent a car, but for the first couple of days in Palermo we will wait to do so. We are thinking 2 days in Palermo just exploring it.
- The third day we would like to go Bioparco di Sicilia. It is between Palermo and the airport, where I understand it is best to pick up a car. Does it make sense to go to the airport with luggage and get a car, then drive to Bioparco and leave from there in the afternoon to head east? Or does it make more sense to visit Bioparco by public transport from Palermo and return to Palermo before taking the bus to the airport to get a car late in the day and head east? Or should we consider adding another half day in Palermo even before driving east?
We can't decide where to make our base.
- We want to do as much as we can at Mt. Etna with a 2.5 year old in tow. Is the funicular currently operating?
- I would like to visit the places where the Godfather was filmed.
- Beyond that we are flexible. We'd like to base somewhere that allows us to have a variety of things to see locally and that is close enough for reasonable day trips. We haven't defined what those should be though, as we are flexible and it depends on where we base. Siracusa seems good, but is it too far from Mt. Etna and Taormina? If staying north of Catania (i.e. somewhere like Taormina) what are the best day trip options?
Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!
Oct 4, 2012 2:17 AM
One comment on this part of the plan. While Syracuse is an intersting place to visit, it is not a good base to explore your other interests.
For Mt Etna and Taormina it is better to have a base further north. Also, the village of Forza d' Agro is just north of Taormina and is a location used for the Sicily scenes of the Godfather films.
Oct 5, 2012 7:44 AM
21....Taxi at that time....
2.... what kind of budget? There are lots of nice B&Bs in the historic centre.The best (low budget) ones are around 60-80 euros a night
3.....There is plenty to do in Palermo for a few days.What are your interests? Churches and cathedrals,museums,markets, etc......the beach may still be possible in October too.
4...Sorry I don't know anything about the 'biopark'. What and where exactly is it?
Oct 5, 2012 7:51 AM
3Agree with #1 on the second part.Siracusa is a really nice city but not a good base for what you want to see.
If you have a car somewhere around the Taormina area makes more sense...you can see the coast,Etna,the 'Godfather' place a bit further north,and have a day trip to Siracusa if you have enough time.
Oct 5, 2012 7:54 AM
Oct 9, 2012 2:09 PM
5Thanks for the replies!
Sadly I have been swamped at work and haven’t had time to plan our trip.We leave now in just one week!
I've come up with a rough itinerary so far. Any comments are welcome!
Day 1 (Weds.): Arrive into Palermo at about 23:00. Taxi to a hotel in Palermo.
Day 2: Palermo
Day 3: Palermo and/or day trip by public transport
Day 4: Pick up rental car and drive to Cefalu. In Cefalu - Lunch (and maybe beach and/or see the city?). Then when our son is ready to nap drive on to Taormina
Day 5: Taormina and Savoca (return to hotel in Taormina)
Day 6: Mt. Etna (return to hotel in Taormina)
Day 7: Drive to Siracusa and spend the rest of the day there
Day 8: Siracusa and/or day trip
Day 9: Siracusa and/or day trip
Day 10: Morning in Siracusa and drive to Catania. After lunch while my wife and son nap I return the rental car. Meet them for an afternoon and evening in Catania. Spend the night in Catania.
Day 11: Get to airport for an early morning flight out of Catania.
- Does it make sense in general?
- What are the best/easiest day trips from Siracusa? Does Siracusa still not sound like a god base if staying a couple of nights in Taormina?
- Our son is not a morning person. The move to Catania and dropping the rental car off early is to save a bit of time the morning of departure. Plus it also gives us a chance to see Catania’s historic center. Does this make sense?
- We wanted to just stay in 2 hotels, but we’ve expanded that to 4 now. We convinced ourselves this is better for us. Agreed?
Oct 9, 2012 11:39 PM
Oct 10, 2012 1:49 AM
(5 star Hotel)
From US$224.73 per night
(4 star Hotel)
From US$150.19 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$65.04 per night