NIagara falls Info required
Replies: 20 - Last Post: Jul 25, 2012 11:55 PM Last Post By: zark42
Jul 13, 2012 5:28 AM
NIagara falls Info requiredDear frends,
I will be going to the US on a holiday and would like to visit the Niagara falls I have a few questions relating to that
1) Which side of the falls (US or Canada ) is better?- I am prefering to see the canadian side
2) I am an Indian passport holder with valid multi entry US visa , can I obtain a canadian tourist visa in either Miami or New york -canadian counsulates (as I would be spending more daysin in these parts of US ) , to visit the falls , any idea about the process/requirements/duration for obtaining the visa? or is it advisable to obtain in before flying to US .
3) how much time is required from new york to and fro to visit the canadian side falls (2 days-nights would be good enough?)
thanks in adv
Jul 13, 2012 6:27 AM
21. The city of NF, NY is not a nice place. But if you're going to travel all the way to the area from NYC, it makes sense to visit both sides to view the falls and perhaps take in the Maid of the Mist boat ride (which you can board from either side) or go to the bottom of the gorge.
3. It's something like 420 km from NYC to NF, NY. So your mode of transport will be a big part of how much time you need. If you fly to Buffalo, NY and rent a car, 2 days and 2 nights would give you time to take in some other worthwhile stops along both sides of the gorge.
Jul 13, 2012 6:45 AM
Jul 13, 2012 6:48 AM
Jul 13, 2012 9:37 AM
Jul 13, 2012 10:01 AM
Jul 13, 2012 10:28 AM
7Ah ~ October may be late-ish in the season, so it wouldn't hurt to check on regular operations for things like Maid of the Mist (accomms, etc will be OK) - I went in January, the place was deserted. Pictures are frost all over the trees and a fine film of ice on the sidewalks and handrails from the mist (like a winter postcard ~ ) ~ but it was a brilliant clear day and the sound of the water was worth the day trip from GTA for me. Prolly not the best NF experience, but it's what I got.
Jul 13, 2012 11:17 AM
8October 24th is the last day this year for the Maid of the Mist. But after that date, Goat Island (the State Park on the US side) no longer charges for parking and you can still do the cave of the winds - which takes you on a walk along a wooden platform at the base of the American falls. If the weather is fine, Goat Island is nice for an extended walk and you can get very close to the water. The Canadian side is also nice - in a formal garden kind of way. A few miles north on the Canadian side is a cable car which hovers over a whirlpool in the gorge. On the US side, it's possible to make an independent hike down into the gorge at Devil's Hole. Most likely you'll have the place to yourselves.
Jul 13, 2012 7:18 PM
Jul 13, 2012 7:37 PM
Jul 14, 2012 9:46 AM
I agree that the Indian visa process is filled with little traps set by legions of faceless Indian bureaucrats. But navigating through the maze of written and unwritten intricacies is excellent training for doing the same once you get to India, so it is not without purpose.
Jul 14, 2012 10:24 AM
12No problem once in India, it's merely that the process should be tit-for-tat. Just sayin!
Jul 14, 2012 10:40 AM
(3 star Hotel)
From US$169.00 per night
Des MoinesBook now
(3 star Hotel)
From US$129.00 per night
Virginia BeachBook now
(4 star Hotel)
From US$379.00 per night