Ulan Ude Questions
Replies: 6 - Last Post: Sep 12, 2012 12:56 AM Last Post By: everbrite
Jun 25, 2012 12:31 PM
Ulan Ude QuestionsI am planning a trip to Lake Baikal and Mongolia in June 2013 and I am now in the very early stages of collecting some preliminary information. In terms of my route, the most convenient route for me seems to be to fly from Beijing to Ulan Ude and then travel to Ulaanbaatar by the bus that departs from Soviet Square at 7:30 a.m. Hence, I have some preliminary questions:
1. There is a flight from Beijing to Ulan Ude under the S7 name, but it is operated by Globus LLC. I have never heard of this airline. Does anybody have any experience with company or know anything about it? I normally don't like to book a flight on a totally unknown airline. That having been said, I have no problems whatsoever with S7, but I do not know anything about Globus LLC.
2. With respect to that bus from Ulan Ude to Ulaanbaatar, can you buy a ticket and just hop on the bus or does it require advance reservation? If so, is 1-2 days in advance sufficient?
3. I am planning to stay at Ulan Ude Travelers Home in Ulan Ude - I have already made contact with Dennis, the owner. I read somewhere that there is a daily bus that goes from Ulan Ude to Lake Baikal departing at 7:30 a.m. and returning at 3:00 p.m. Is that correct? Is it possible to travel independently from Ulan Ude to Baikal or is it better to let Dennis organize transport to/from the lake?
Jun 25, 2012 1:04 PM
1There is a flight from Beijing to Ulan Ude under the S7 name, but it is operated by Globus LLC. I have never heard of this airline. Does anybody have any experience with company or know anything about it? I normally don't like to book a flight on a totally unknown airline. That having been said, I have no problems whatsoever with S7, but I do not know anything about Globus LLC
Globus was part of the S7 group, but was sold to the same company that operates Domodedovo airport. They've never had an accident in the 4 years they've been operating and there's no reason to suggest they are a bad airline.
Jun 25, 2012 1:06 PM
2What are you planning to do in Ulan Ude to get to Lake Baiikal? I might make more sense to fly there than to fly into UU
1. Did you check the S7 website to see if the flight is listed there? If not, you might. Globus LLC might simply be a regional subcontractor which is very common (think United Express for United). Also check airline websites which are more likely to be able to answer this sort of question.
2. Bus ticket should be purchased at least the day prior to departure. Denis at the UU hostel or travel agencies in UU can arrange the ticket for a minimal surcharge.
3. Lake Baikal is big so I am not sure where on the Lake the bus goes and whether it makes some sense to go to the lake at that point. What are you expecting to do at the lake? just make a day trip to see it? Most people go to the lake to take a hike, do some fishing, rest and relax. What are your plans?
Jun 25, 2012 11:20 PM
Sep 11, 2012 5:02 PM
Sep 11, 2012 5:04 PM
5Hi ruth,I really cant afford the trans siberian railway, is there any way to gobetween the stops from moscow to ulan ude by bus, eg gor from moscow to ekaterinaburg and then fom there to irkutsk? and then to ulan ude?
Sep 12, 2012 12:56 AM
6If you can't afford the train, then fly. It is cheaper. Taking shorter distance trains won't save you any money unless you take local commuter trains. The cheapest trains will be the slowest ones but they will take longer and the ride will be more uncomfortable.
I don't know of buses that operate these long distances and I doubt that they would be cheaper tha the train.
There is a way to travel using local trains but it really would take you considerably longer. If you are traveling on a 30 day tourist visa I am not sure that you would have enough time. Besides, what you might save by doing this you would spend on food and lodging.
Russia is NOT a budget destination.
Reconsider your plans.
Edited by: everbrite
(4 star Hotel)
From US$129.95 per night
(5 star Hotel)
From US$276.15 per night
(4 star Hotel)
From US$97.46 per night