Me and my backpack's 100 favourite places
Replies: 42 - Last Post: Jun 10, 2012 12:27 PM Last Post By: torotaxi
May 21, 2012 8:41 AM
May 21, 2012 6:57 PM
We just got back from a trip to Antarctica. Yep, it is the most expensive, but it's certainly not tough. You get very well looked after by the guides.
You can get there for around $4000 if you are lucky getting a last minute deal. Plus, you get to tick South America off your list as well.
May 21, 2012 10:57 PM
May 22, 2012 1:55 AM
May 22, 2012 3:07 AM
19I've done UK....now I'm working on Europe. Its very hard.......
May 22, 2012 3:18 AM
May 22, 2012 3:30 AM
21I know, I know - its so hard. So many favourite places. I'm also trying to find a photo to go with it and write a little reminder about why its a favourite place. Course I'll get to Asia or South America or somewhere and then realise I've got too many in Europe........
What have you started sandpitmanrob.....
May 22, 2012 3:36 AM
May 22, 2012 3:53 AM
May 22, 2012 1:36 PM
24Ok its done!
Its not in order - that's my next job. That and my photos. What comes to mind when I see my list is how much more there is of the world still to see. Its a pity we only get one lifetime......
1. Liverpool - Waterfront including the Albert Dock the Maritime museum and the 3 Graces
2. Liverpool Catholic Cathedral
3. Grisedale Forest sculpture park
4. Eskdale - Lake District
5. Anfield - Liverpool
6. Minack Theatre - Cornwall
7. Torridon - Scotland
8. Sgurr Nan Gillan - Skye
9. Loch Courisk - Skye
10. Newborough Beach - Anglesey
11. Quiraing - Skye
13. Goredale Scar and Malham Cove walk- Yorkshire Dales
14. Llyn Gerrionydd - Snowdonia
15. Moel Siabod - Snowdonia
16. Tryfan and the Glyders - Snowdonia
17. Aberglasyln Pass - North Wales
18. Fountains Abbey - Yorkshire
19. Conway mountain, castle and walls walk
20. Hadrian's wall - Housesteads Roman Fort and Vindolanda
21. Lindisfarne - Northumberland
22. Borrowdale Valley - Lake District
23. Musee d'Orsay - Paris
24. Valledemosa - Majorca
25. Dordogne - France
26. Crete - Samaria Gorge
27. Benasque - Pyrenees
28. Bilbao - Gugganheim Museum
29. Dolomites - Italy
30. Loire Valley
31. Altamira cave paintings -Spain
32. Giant's Causeway - Antrim
34. Lauterbrunnen - Switzerland
35. Picos de Europa - Spain
36. Santillana del Mar - Spain
38. San Gimignano - Italy
41. Ephesus/Pumakali - Turkey
42. Chamonix - French Alps
43. Volgograd - Russia
44. Donets'k - Ukraine
46. Benodet - Brittany
47. Neuschwanstein castle - Bavaria
48. Grand Place - Brussels
49. Zermatt - Switzerland
51. Ol Pejeta Conservancy - Kenya
52. Amboseli - Kenya
53.Atlas Mountains - Morrocco
54. Essaoira - Morrocco
55. Masai Mara - Kenya
56. Stone Town - Zanzibar
57. Table Mountain - Cape Town
58. Robben Island - Cape Town
59. Ngorongora Crater - Tanzania
60. Malindi - Kenya
61. Drakensberg Mountains - South Africa
62. Tsingy and lemurs - Madagascar
63. Stellanbosch - wine tasting - South Africa
64. Serengeti - Tanzania
65. Mount Meru - Tanzania
66. Khiva - Uzbekistan
67. Road from Olgii to Khovd - Mongolia
68. Koh Phi Phi - Thailand
69. Altai Mountains - Russia and Kazakhstan
70. Phitsanulok - Thailand
71. Savitsky Museum Nukus - Uzbekistan
72. Chiang Mai - Thailand
74. Sunflowers in Siberia
75. Gobi Desert - Mongolia
76. Kings Canyon - Northern Territories
77. Mataranka - Northern Territories
79. Kakadu National Park
80. Port Douglas - Queensland
81. Wellington - NZ
82 Whale watching and coastal walkKaikora - NZ
83. Nelson Lakes - NZ
84. The Olgas - Northern Territories
85. Daintree Rain Forest and the drive to Cook Town - Queensland
86. Hunter Valley wine tasting - NSW
87. Punta Arenas - Chile
88. Patagonia - Torres de Paine
89. San Pedro de Atacama - Chile
90. Geysers del Tatio - Chile
91. Cuzco - Inca Trail - Peru
92. Salar de Uyuni - Bolivia
93. Perito Moreno Glacier - Argentina
94. Santa Fe - New Mexico
95. Carlsbad Caverns/Painted Desert/White sands - New Mexico
96. Grand Canyon - Arizona
97. Santiago - Chile
98. Corcovada - Costa Rica
99. Cerri Chirripo - Costa Rica
100. Gold museum - Lima
May 22, 2012 3:29 PM
25mmmmmm. very impressive list.
i look forward to seeing it in order. will be very interesting.
if it helps, the way i did mine (i originally started with 60) was to put 2 stars against the exceptional ones, 1 star against the really good ones, and nothing against the others. then i put each of the 3 groups into order. then went through the whole list (of 60) again and made changes where necessary. i then retracked through where i had been to come up with another 40 and then put those in order, then went through the whole list again. obv youve already got 100 so wont need to do the last step if you chose to do it the same way as me.
as i say, very much look forward to seeing your final list.
did you go to other places in north america or italy by the way which didnt make your list ?
May 23, 2012 12:52 AM
26This has now become my latest project....I'm thinking how I can capture it for posterity before I forget them. Even just thinking about favourite places has brought back so many happy memories.
What have you started!
Italy - there are so many fabulous places its difficult to choose. I feel that about Spain and France too.
US - we've only been to New Mexico and Arizona. Its one of the places we need to see more of. Asia is the same. My husband had his appendix out in Thailand so we missed our flights to Cambodia and that meant we also missed Vietnam. Similar story for India; so these places are very high on our list. So is Eastern Europe and China. Its Scandinavia next though..............so many places...so little time.
May 23, 2012 12:26 PM
May 23, 2012 1:39 PM
28Well I have ordered them.....of sorts. But as I go through photos to go with them I find I'm changing my mind about some. My top 15 are fixed though......
1, Loch Courisk - Skye
2. Lauterbrunnen - Switzerland
3. Ol Pejeta Conservancy - Kenya
5. Sgurr Nan Gillan - Skye
6. Newborough Beach - Anglesey
7. Picos de Europa - Spain
8. Liverpool - Waterfront including the Albert Dock the Maritime museum and the 3 Graces
9. Whale watching Kaikora - NZ
10. Cuzco - Inca Trail
11. Salar de Uyuni - Bolivia
12. Kakadu National Park
13. Road from Olgii to Khovd - Mongolia
14. Essaoira - Morrocco
15. Chamonix - French Alps
You've started something though. My daugter is also working on her list.......
May 23, 2012 4:23 PM
(3 star Hotel)
From US$142.16 per night
(5 star Hotel)
From US$190.19 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$249.21 per night