Cambodia in 3 weeks - need a little help to organise my time.
Replies: 21 - Last Post: Mar 4, 2012 6:00 AM Last Post By: Winterhawk
Feb 24, 2012 8:34 AM
Cambodia in 3 weeks - need a little help to organise my time.Hi
As i mentioned I am going to Cambodia from Bangkok by bus on 22 June.
I've planned my trip a bit and read many articles but infact I can nto make up how many days would be enough for following highlights as there are really so many things to do:
Angkor - 2 days
Tonle Sap Lake and Floating Villages - 2 days
Sieam Reap - 1 day
Ratanakiri - Getting around Banlung, Yeak Laom and trekking in Virachey - 5-7 days.
Southern Cambodia - 3 days for Kampot, Kep( by moto ) and Koh thonsay
Koh Rong - 4 days
I guess it is not worth to go to PP and Battambang and I want to save some time. If I miss something then correct me, please.I also consider Koh Kong, Chi phat and Cardamons instead of Ratanakiri. It would be much closer than Virachey but I am not sure.
During this trip I would love to rent a moto and enjoy rural Cambodia on my own, sightseeing rice paddies etc.
Also want to see some authentic tribe villages but not touristy ones.
I would be greatfull if sb told me where is the best area to see it.
I thought about Banteay Chmaa and Kampong Chnang for floating villages.
Looking for some advices ;)
Feb 24, 2012 9:30 AM
1Best bet for tribes would be Ratanakiri area but you may need a guide. Motor biking is good fun but be careful. The Kampot/Kep area is quite for Motorbiking. You will end up in PP sometime no doubt as most roads seem to go through there.
Feb 24, 2012 9:42 AM
2yeah, for sure I will end up in PP but not for days. I've heard about two guides: Do Yok and Soukhon.
Do you know what floating villages are the best to see? I don't know where I should see Tonle Sap, I've heard about Kampong Chnang,Kompong Phluk, Kompong Khleang and Preak Toal Biodiversity. Which one is the best and not heavily touristed with Siem Reap visitors?
Do you think if it is doable in 3 weeks including 2-3 days in Sen Monorom / Koh Kong or Si Phan Donh? I'd see all of them if I got more time but I think even one of this place will be hard to add to my tour. And where Can I do some village homestay to see Cambodian rural life ?
Feb 24, 2012 11:42 AM
3Your itinerary looks possible but keep in mind that travel times in Cambodia are longer you may be used to.
Why would you go to Si Phan Donh? Spent several days on the islands a couple years ago and would not go back. if you have extra time stay in Kampot/Kep area. A couple of days on Rabbit island off of Kep is super relaxing and quite inexpensive. Unless it has changed in 3 years not filled with tourists. The grilled crab served with chili, lime and black pepper sauce and accompanied by ice cold beer is one of lifes pleasures!
Feb 24, 2012 12:07 PM
4I wanted to go to Si phan Donh as it is close to Banlung but Maybe you're right. I wouldn't hurry then so much and extra time would be great to spend in lovely south. How about Tonle Sap stuff and rural village homestay?
Feb 24, 2012 2:47 PM
5I went to Kampong Khleang as a day trip out of PP (I went by tuk-tuk) and it was incredible and with hindsight I would have gone even further. I only saw a few tourists. There was no one around to share the boat and I met no other tourists as I wandered along the little strip (the village). The people were friendly. I got some incredible photos. It was a very memorable day.
Feb 24, 2012 8:31 PM
Feb 24, 2012 11:59 PM
Feb 25, 2012 2:25 AM
8I must figure out myself which one of Kampong Luong and Khleang is better but i guess both are great. I just wonder if it is worth to get a boat cruise from battambang to siem Reap on my way by bus from Bangkok and how organise my time to see Tonle Sap and Angkor. Any sugestions? Should I take direct bus to Siem reap or to Battambang and get a boat to SR?
Feb 25, 2012 2:34 AM
Feb 25, 2012 2:51 AM
10if you say Kampong Chnang and kampong Luong so generally speaking I should experience Tonle Sap on its south side. T
1. If I decide to see both of them, which place is the best to stay to see Kampong Luong - Pursat or Krakor?
2. Do I need a whole day to see Kampong Luong or might be possible to get to the Kampong Chnang in the same day?
3. How about BTT to SR by boat or SP to PP by boat is better?
4. let's say I took a bus from Bangkok to Battambang and then boat to Siem Reap. Then if going to Prek Toal, Kampong Luong, Kampong Chnang take a bus by National Highway 6 via Phnom Penh, or NH5 back to Battambang?
5. Also consider to hire a taxi then I could stop anywhere I want if I see something interesting along the way, what you think about this idea?
6. Is it easy to rent a bike a travel on my own from Kampot to kep and around ? I wonder if it if possible to rent a moto in Kep and go to Kampot and spend a night having my bike rented ( is it safe/comfortable) ?
7. Where the best to hire enduro for a daytrip? SR/Banlung?
8. Is the road accesible between Sen Monorom and Banlung in early JUuly and how many hrs it takes?
Feb 26, 2012 10:34 PM
2. I took a half day trip to KL from Pursat.
3. BTT- SR. Don't take the boat from SR- PP. It's the biggest tourist scam in Cambodia.
4. BKK- SR. Then by bus to BTT and south shore.
5. Good idea.
6. Yes. But I'd base myself in Kampot and do a day trip to Kep.
7. PP. No hiring motorbikes in R. Banlung also possible.
8. If it has rained a lot already it will be very difficult.
Feb 27, 2012 1:13 AM
Feb 27, 2012 7:36 AM
13Thank you so much for the answer! really appreaciate it.
Just on is not clear
"4 and 5.. BKK- SR. Then by bus to BTT and south shore."
If I take a bus from BKK to SR, then I have to go back to BTT to get a bat cruise to SR and then back again via BTT to Pursat ( base for Kampong Luong and Kampong chnang ) isn't ridiculous? Or I got wrong sth..
I want to do Angkor at first, or boat to from BTT to Sr, then go to K Luong and Kampong Chnang, next Ban Lung and Kampot, Kep and south shore at the end.
Is it good? Any better sugestions?
I guess I complicate these things..
Feb 27, 2012 7:44 AM
(3 star Hotel)
From US$57.94 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$66.91 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$53.02 per night