Buying horses in places other than Ulaanbaator
Replies: 5 - Last Post: Jun 20, 2012 6:32 AM Last Post By: cdmarshm1984
Jan 9, 2012 3:19 PM
Buying horses in places other than UlaanbaatorHi,
My partner and I are looking at doing a solo horse trek in Mongolia. We are currently looking at different possible routes and are looking at the possibility of starting our journey somewhere other than Ulaanbaator (Uliastai or Olgii for example) and were wondering if it realistic to buy horses etc in towns such as these?
Jan 9, 2012 9:16 PM
You can buy anywhere in Mongolia.But i suggest you to buy a horses in central Mongolia, because it is cheaper than in Ulgii.Buy in central Mongolia and sell in western Mongolia.It will be good deal.
Jan 10, 2012 12:12 AM
2MongoliaHorseTrek.webs.com Check out this website. an Australian did horse trekking from one end to the other coupla years ago.
Jan 10, 2012 2:58 AM
Jan 10, 2012 7:43 AM
Dan, who often answers posts on this forum, has a great blog on Mongolia with great details on purchasing a horse for solo horse treks (including price of a horse and where to purchase one). This is the link:
Things to remember:
1. A herder will never sell you his best horse.
2. If you plan on carrying a lot of equipment or a long cross-country you must also purchase a pack horse.
3. You must be able to secure your horses and your belongings. It is easy for both to be stolen.
4. You must choose a route where the horse will have good access to grass and water.
5. Selling the equipment (such as saddles) can take time.
Mongolia is the ultimate destination for horse trekking. Have a great trip.
Sain Yavaarai - Journey Well
Jun 20, 2012 6:32 AM
(0 star Hotel)
From US$17.00 per night
(0 star Hotel)
From US$35.58 per night
(5 star Hotel)
From US$446.75 per night