New Years in Austin
Replies: 6 - Last Post: Dec 4, 2012 1:52 PM Last Post By: tilos
Nov 26, 2012 3:14 PM
Nov 26, 2012 4:58 PM
Nov 26, 2012 5:14 PM
Nov 26, 2012 6:10 PM
3Off the cuff ideas:
1. Swim in Barton springs if it is warm. Else, rent kayaks in Zilker Park and boat along Town Lake.
2. Go bar hopping on 6th street.
3. Go hiking on the trail system that runs along Capital of Texas highway, near 183.
4. Eat. Go to Trudy's and Magnolia Cafe to experience Austin cuisine. Drive to Lockhart for the amazing bbq. If you can do a splurge meal, eat Japanese food at Uchi or Uchiko. If you get to Uchi during happy hour, you have a chance of keeping the bill under $100.
5. Wander around the UT campus and its main drag, Guadalupe St. (pronounced by locals as GWAD-uh-loop). This works well with a trip to Magnolia Cafe.
I always stay with friends, so I can't speak to hotels.
Dec 2, 2012 10:15 AM
4Definitely do Chicken Sh*t Bingo at Ginny's. Great bar, great music and atmosphere. Here is a good list of traditional Austin dishes and where to get them as well. http://eatyourworld.com/destinations/united_states/texas/austin
Dec 3, 2012 4:13 PM
5You don't need to go to Lockhart for BBQ. Franklin's in Austin is one of the best places in the state (Bon Appetit declared it the best BBQ in the US). However, it will necessitate a three hour wait in line if you want to go on a Saturday. Also, skip Magnolia Cafe and go down the street to the South Congress Cafe. Normally I'd recommend visiting the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center, but I don't know how it looks in January. For drinking, I'm a big fan of the Ginger Man (Lavaca between 3rd and 4th) they have tons of craft beers on tap including a cask conditioned beer or two. West 6th has a bunch of nice galleries you can wander around.
Dec 4, 2012 1:52 PM
(4 star Hotel)
From US$240.00 per night
(4 star Hotel)
From US$164.00 per night
(5 star Hotel)
From US$308.00 per night