Going to India next week... have no visa yet
Replies: 20 - Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 6:46 PM Last Post By: max_mexico
Nov 29, 2012 9:39 AM
Going to India next week... have no visa yetI have a ticket to India next week, but my passport is still being processed by the Indian consulate in San Francisco.
Now that the application process is outsourced to "Travisa" there is supposedly no way for me to contact the consulate or ask how long they will take. "Travisa" just tells me it will probably take another 1-2 weeks, and I may or may not get the visa in time.
Wanted to see if anyone of you have any creative ideas how I can make my trip. Is there for example any way I can receive visa on arrival in India? I have a second valid Swedish passport that I can use. Or is there an embassy in another country that offers same-day Indian visa? I would be happy to travel to Canada, Mexico or Bahamas and apply for and receive visa same day. As far as I know, you need to apply in the country that you live in though. And most consulates take at least 5 days anyway...
Or could I try to visit the consulate in person in San Francisco and ask if they can expedite the process? Would they even listen to me?
Nov 29, 2012 9:53 AM
You won't be able to enter the country without visa - there's no VOA. On Swedish passport, you'd need only 2-3 days at the Indian consulate in Stockholm. Not sure if it works the same at the consulate in SF.
Nov 29, 2012 10:15 AM
2You can't get a VOA for India. There are no one day services either ... You have to wait. Change your ticket dates ...
Nov 29, 2012 10:30 AM
3There are, in fact, one-day services for American citizens applying in USA. Alas, not for Swedes.
The problem with changing the ticket dates is it will be very expensive AND I need to arrive India ASAP. Even if I move the trip forward one week, there is no guarantee I'll have the visa by then either, so I might have to change it again... Also, I bet that if I move the trip forward 7 days, they will then grant me the visa the day before my original departure date......
Nov 29, 2012 10:46 AM
Nov 29, 2012 11:10 AM
Nov 29, 2012 1:50 PM
Nov 29, 2012 4:05 PM
7Well I have two passports, so I was thinking I could apply elsewhere with the other one. Or just go and try to convince the immigration officer, but if there's no visa on arrival then I suspect I won't even be allowed to board the plane :(
What do you guys think of just showing up at the consulate and bugging them about it? Think it could help? Is it even possible to find someone to talk to?
Nov 29, 2012 5:42 PM
Nov 29, 2012 7:01 PM
Nov 30, 2012 3:05 PM
10If you’re travelling to foreign country you need to know if need a visa. Now saying that once get your visa then book your ticket.
Also come countries validations for few months i.e. Egyptian visa valid for 6 months you have travel within that 6 months window after that visa will expire and need apply for new one.
You just have wait possible changed your ticket.
Keep LP members updated on your case.
Dec 3, 2012 3:19 AM
Dec 3, 2012 9:36 AM
12Update: There is no update. Consulate still holds onto my passport with no ETA. I sent an email to the consul pleading my case, without hearing anything back of course. Then I even enlisted the help of a visa consultant company in San Francisco, they looked into my case and then told me there's nothing that can be done. (In fact, they told me I should have left my passport to Travisa in person instead of mailing it in like I did, and I should not try to contact the consulate as it might do more harm than good -- so I've done everything wrong :/)
Airline won't cut me any slack; changing the flight will be $300 + fare difference EACH time I change it. There is no "standby" option where I could put the ticket on hold and leave once I get the visa.
Dec 3, 2012 7:19 PM
Dec 4, 2012 1:20 AM
14I applied on November 16. It's done same day for Americans and I was told 1-2 weeks for foreign passports. So it's been 2.5 weeks now... The annoying thing is that I can see (from the timestamps on Travisa) that it took EIGHT days for my application to move from "arrived" to "received" with Travisa. And this is BEFORE the 1-2 weeks that the consulate needs. I presume they are severely backed up for Christmas (it also took me three days of trying and several hours of waiting to reach them by phone). Or they might have just lost my application somewhere.
Anyway, today there was an update. My application moved to the status Pending approval of the Government of India. No idea if that's a good sign or not. At least something is happening! But my Indian friend warns me that the Government of India is not the most efficient.
It is completely ridiculous that there is no rush service available. It's NOT acceptable to hold on to one's passport for over two weeks. Thankfully I have a second one.
Mumbai (Bombay)Book now
(5 star Hotel)
From US$193.64 per night
San FranciscoBook now
(0 star Hotel)
From US$19.40 per night
(4 star Hotel)
From US$139.92 per night