Zurich airport 40 min transfer
Replies: 10 - Last Post: Nov 8, 2012 10:24 AM Last Post By: dsfx
Nov 7, 2012 5:53 PM
Zurich airport 40 min transferHey,
So i'm new to the travel game. I'm going to be going to Africa for a month in Feb and one of my transfers take me through Zurich airport. I get there at 8:20am and have to make my connection by 9:00am. i was told this is a legal transfer by my booking agent(no other flights were available).
After doing some looking i believe i'll be dropped off in terminal E(arriving from newark) and board my next flight from terminal E(to nairobi). Will i have to collect my checked luggage? Will i have to pass through security? and the biggest question of all... Will i make it?
Thanks for any info or adivce you may have.
Nov 7, 2012 6:24 PM
The most important information was not provided by you. Is this all booked as one ticket e.g. a ticket issued by a single airline (even if the flights are with two different (code-sharing) airlines?
Nov 7, 2012 9:04 PM
Nov 7, 2012 10:45 PM
Nov 8, 2012 1:35 AM
4I would be willing to bet that you'll make it. If your first flight is United 134 from Newark to Zurich, this flight has a 92% on-time performance.
And Zurich is rather efficient for transfers.
In worst case, as Fwoggie said, if you miss your connecting flight (Swiss ?) it's the airline's responsability to put you on another flight. And since you seem to be flying on Star Alliance airlines, there'll be plenty of options to get you to Nairobi.
Enjoy your trip
Nov 8, 2012 1:52 AM
Nov 8, 2012 7:27 AM
Nov 8, 2012 7:29 AM
7i didn't know transfers could be legal or illegal. That is a meaningless term.
There are minimum transfer times between flights (they vary depending on the airport, the flights -e.g.: if they are domestical to domestical or international to domestical-, and, sometimes, even the airlines and perhaps other factors too) and airlines aren't allowed to sell tickets if the transit time between flights is less than that minimum transfer time. I think by legal the OP meant his flights met the minimum transfer time required in Zurich.
Nov 8, 2012 7:39 AM
8My only concern would be a delay and the comment you made about, 'no other flights available'. If that means you would have to spend the night it becomes quite inconvenient.
If it were me I would be looking for an alternative route, not counting on a 40 minute connection window. While it might be fine 92% of the time (lilyramone), I would want to have a plan for the other 8%. The airline may well get you on another flight but there is no avoiding the inconvenience and hassle if you miss that connecting flight.
Here is a good article on connection times and 'legal' connections.
Nov 8, 2012 7:49 AM
9I have this vision of someone sitting in a plane for 6-8 hours biting their finger nails and looking at their watch every 10 minutes while praying to the Gods that they will arrive on time.
Then arriving on time only to find their anxiety has resulted in a bad case of diarrhea and the resulting stop at a toilet results in them missing the connection.
One thing I have learned over the years about air travel is that it is far better to allow yourself plenty of time at any airport and avoid the need to rush/worry about it. Air travel has enough hassles these days without adding avoidable stress on yourself.
Nov 8, 2012 10:24 AM
10Because of the tight transfer times i've arranged it so i arrive in Nairobi 2 days early. This will give me pleanty of time if i get stuck in Zurich. I hope that i don't need to worry about this but it's nice knowing i've got wiggle room in case of weather or any other type of delays.
I drive my girlfriend nuts because i like to get to the airport early so i can grab a bite to eat and relax at the gate. I hate stressing over poor planning because it's preventable.
Edited by: dsfx
San FranciscoBook now
(0 star Hotel)
From US$19.40 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$179.00 per night
Des MoinesBook now
(3 star Hotel)
From US$129.00 per night