Should I be worried? - Visa
Replies: 22 - Last Post: Nov 10, 2012 12:30 AM Last Post By: ae85
Nov 2, 2012 11:38 PM
Should I be worried? - VisaI applied for a VIsa application on October 18th (I am an American) and I leave for Brazil on November 16th.
I had to mail in my application because I live in Minnesota. The closest Consulate is in Chicago. For many days after they received my application, the status when I checked online was Received. Then on Tuesday of this week (Oct. 30th) I saw the status changed to Processing. On October 31st it then changed to Authorized.
The next step seemed to have them mail it back. I have not received anything as of yet (I sent with an overnight envelope). When I checked the status in now said "No pending applications" which made me confused.
Then I saw this on the Consulate of Chicago's Homepage:
Due to severe technical difficulties that affect the Brazilian Consular Service throughout the world, the Consulate General of Brazil in Chicago will suspend the issuing of the following documents, starting today, October 29th, 2012:
All types of visas;
Legalization of documents;
All documents requested by mail.
The Consulate General will only process requests of Brazilians citizens residing in its jurisdiction, restricting the maximum number of legalizations to 2 (two) per person.
The Consulate General of Brazil in Chicago hereby requests the understanding of the public to this situation.
I'm really concerned. To make matters worse, they are open 9-1 but its impossible, it seems, to reach someone on the phone. Emails are hit or miss.
Should I be worried?
Nov 2, 2012 11:56 PM
Nov 3, 2012 12:40 AM
Nov 3, 2012 12:13 PM
4Well, good news and bad. It appears the consulate is again issuing visas, but that it won't accept mailed applications. It doesn't state what it is doing with those mailed preivously (one would hope they sent it out, maybe by regular mail, in which case you not receiving it yet wouldn't seem unusual).
"The Consulate General of Brazil in Chicago informs that, starting Monday, November 5th, it will resume accepting visa applications received exclusively from the applicants. All consular services will be available only if applied in person by the applicant. The Consulate General of Brazil in Chicago will NOT accept any applications sent by mail, applied by a third party or from VISA SERVICE companies."
Ah, Brazilian bureaucracy and the judicial system together. Of course, Brazilians applying for U.S. visas in Brazil also have to apply in person, but that's not the relevant point to you, since you mailedi n your app while that was still accepted. I don't know that it would be any easier, but you could at least try phoning the Brazilian embassy in Washington (actually, I think it's for now a separate facility, the consualte general in DC, that handles visas). My wife, a Brazilian, had to talk with them last summer and did get throuh by phone, though it wasn't easy. I agree about calling the airline(s) involved.
Nov 3, 2012 12:27 PM
5I called the airline (United) and Orbitz. They did not give me anything concrete but to say that they could postpone my trip until I get my visa. Orbitz told me to wait it out even though I leave in 2 weeks.
I'm hoping to possibly go to Chile or Argentina instead but that probably wont be good since I have to travel to Brazil within 90 days of the Visa being issued. Unless I can somehow cancel that process and get my money back??
This is a nightmare and I feel like I'm being held hostage by all the red tape. They also have my passport, so if they are just going to flatly stop doing their job, I'd like my passport back.
My friend lives in Washington D.C. but I could not find any problems of no visa processing on their site. He is expecting to pickup his visa on Monday (the 5th). Hopefully he can. Maybe they can shed some insight to their counterparts in other areas of the U.S.
Nov 3, 2012 1:00 PM
6I don't think the use within 90 days is still used. Can one of the Brazil regulars say?
The big thing is getting the passport back. Fortunately yours seems to contain the visa and it was not at the start of the process. It could be worse.
Nov 3, 2012 1:02 PM
7The 90 day restriction was ended a couple of years ago.
I answered more fully on your USA thread.
Nov 3, 2012 1:18 PM
Nov 3, 2012 1:29 PM
9Well that's good to know about the 90 day restriction being waived. Although I still need my passport if I was going to reschedule to another destination.
I think I will wait it out a few days. I sent an email and left a voicemail with the Consulate but I am not expecting to hear from them. If I was leaving in December I would not be so anxious.
Is there a 3rd party that can assist? Visa agency that can pull strings?
Nov 3, 2012 5:13 PM
Nov 3, 2012 5:39 PM
11We're talking about the American one; maybe the Australian is different?
Nov 3, 2012 8:47 PM
12I find it odd that the Chicago Consulate's website mentions the suspension of issuing documents (Oct. 31) and then mentions that it will begin processing apps that are done in person only starting Monday Nov. 5. Two different news items.
I do not see those messages on New York, Washington D.C., or the Houston Consulate's sites.
On the San Francisco & Los Angeles site I saw this:
Due to technical problems that affect other Brazilian Consulates as well, this Consulate General will temporarily decrease the rate of issuance of visas and Brazilian passports. If your trip is not urgent and you do not wish to leave your passport with us for the required processing time, we encourage you to submit your request later. We expect to be able to operate normally as soon as possible. Please check this page regularly for updated information.
Which is kinda encouraging. I wonder why all these Consulates don't have uniformity in their news feeds...oh wait, I think I have a good idea.
Nov 3, 2012 9:48 PM
Nov 5, 2012 5:29 PM
14Great news! I came home today to find a notice from the Post Office saying I have a package to pick up. It is from Brazil (really Chicago) so I'm 90% confident it is my visa!
I called them again today (no answer) and left another voicemail. I also reached out to the offices of some local politicians. I figured, what better way to fight red tape then with more red tape? They ultimately would not have been able to help (no jurisdiction).
I called Swift Passports in Chicago who was confident that I would be receiving my visa since the status last week had reached Authorized.
I just wish that the Consulate returned calls or emails so I wasn't in freak out mode 10 days before the trip.
Thanks for the advice!
(4 star Hotel)
From US$223.20 per night
Las VegasBook now
(3 star Hotel)
From US$89.00 per night
Las VegasBook now
(3 star Hotel)
From US$83.00 per night