How to reach Mekele and the Tigrai Region?
Replies: 7 - Last Post: Nov 14, 2012 11:18 AM Last Post By: ulibcn
Jul 19, 2012 3:30 AM
How to reach Mekele and the Tigrai Region?Hi,
planning our trip to Ethiopia (Historical Route) next February for 2.5 weeks, I like to know how we can reach Mekele to visit the rock-churches?
Our rough itinerary:
1. One night in Addis Ababa
2. Flying to Bahir Dar, staying there 1 or 2 nights
3. After Bahir Dar we going to rent a car with a driver for a couple of days and drive via Simien (one night at Simien Lodge) and Gonder (2 nights) to Axum (1 night)
4. Now I don't know what's better. Is it a good option to drive from Axum to Tigrai/Mekele and back to take a flight from Axum to Lalibela. Or is it the best to drive further on to Lalibela? It seems like the Tigrai region is on the way to Lalibela.
5. In Lalibela we are staying 2 nights, and then we like to do a TESFA Treck for 3 nights.
6. Flight Lalibela to Addis
Edited by: Kurzschluss
Jul 19, 2012 6:32 AM
1A few points but I am not an expert on the north,.
1. Bahir Dar to Gondar is easy by minibus 3 hours.
2. To get to Simiens on your route you need a car.
3 So rent from Gondar onwards.
4.Gondar to Debark half a day.
5. Debrak to Axum a LONG day.
After that prob best to fly Axum to L, and L to Addis.
I have not done tigrai churches but you need a vehicle.to do so.....
Mekele has an airport but it not on the normal tourist route...
So you could fly Mak to Addis at the end if you wished.
Suggest you send your itinerary and wishes to a few tour companies and see what they come up with....you dont have to use any of them !!!! but for your plans you do need vehicle for Simiens and Tigrai Churches...
Jul 22, 2012 2:14 AM
Jul 22, 2012 8:16 AM
3Sky and Selam Bus run modern coach type buses AA to B Dar and AA to Gondar;;;;;;;;;;;;not sure however if they allow BD to Gondar .....; i assuma the AA to G bus goes round the BD ring road and not thru city centre ?????? Anyone out there done it.
Many tourists these days do BD to Gondar in minibus but you could always hire a 4X4 in BD if you want more comfort....
Jul 24, 2012 10:10 AM
4bahir dar to gondar is a crammed minibus, but you can easily arrange a private minibus to take you, it will just be substantially more expensive as they will charge you a full day car rental for a 3 hour trip, but they will stop on the way for photos etc.
mekelle, contact gheralta lodge, the best place for visiting the churches in the Tigrai area, about 2-3 hours drive from Mekelle, and you can visit churches on the road
I stayed there in March and it was amazingly beautiful
Jul 25, 2012 12:52 AM
Jul 28, 2012 12:10 PM
Nov 14, 2012 11:18 AM
I'll be visiting Ethiopia as a solo traveler also in February. It would be nice if we happen to meet somewhere and share some costs for excursions...If you are interested let me know and we can keep in touch.
(4 star Hotel)
From US$120.03 per night
(3 star Hotel)
From US$89.13 per night
Cape TownBook now
(0 star Hotel)
From US$17.06 per night