Palawan & Cebu advice
Replies: 7 - Last Post: May 18, 2012 5:49 AM Last Post By: harleydavidson
May 11, 2012 6:13 PM
Palawan & Cebu adviceThis is my second time visiting the Phils.... for only two weeks, short, I know. Trying to see some places I didn't explore last time. I have a Lonely Planet but personal advice is invaluable.
Moalboal or Siquijor?
El Nido or Busuanga?
Dumaguete or Cebu City?
Which locations are a better destination for scuba, snorkel, nightlife, hiking, kayaking, biking.
Edited by: johnnysavo
May 11, 2012 7:11 PM
1With two weeks I'd go to either north Palawan or central Visayas (Dumaguete/Cebu/Bohol). Another good 2-week option would be north Mindanao, CDO/Camiguin/Siargao.
You could do a week in PP/El Nido, fly to Cebu from PP and do a week in any of the destinations around Cebu (Bantayan, malapascua, Bohol, Moalboal, Dumaguete, etc. To me that would be unnecessarily rushed and I think it's better to do either Palawan or Visayas, but different people travel in different ways.
Most of the places you mention are enjoyable, except that Cebu City is less a destination than a place you pass through on the way to a destination. What works best for you really depends on what you like to do.
In Central Visayas, Bohol for kayaking (assuming you mean sea kayaking); they have decent rental boats and guides there. Cebu City for nightlife. Moalboal for biking, snorkeling, diving, hiking, Dumaguete has biking, hiking, diving, snorkeling, some nightlife. Moving among them is not too difficult and you could work them all in with 2 weeks.
For north Palawan, great kayaking, diving, snorkeling around Busuanga. Pretty sure there are some bikes around, certainly they have some trails. El Nido has island hopping, I think some kayaks, snorkeling, scuba. I think there's some hiking around, though I haven't done it. Certainly there's a bit around PP. Palawan isn't exactly a nightlife center, no clubbing scene or girlie bars, but there are places to go out.
May 11, 2012 10:23 PM
May 11, 2012 10:54 PM
3Agree with #1 and #2. Choose one area as it's going to be too rushed for you to do all of it.
Either Palawan or the Visayas. With the Visayas, I'd possibly miss Malapascua as the time involved to get there and back would eat into your short time. So Bohol, Moalboal and Apo would be a nice 2 week itinerary.
May 12, 2012 4:15 AM
4You are comparing apples with oranges.
Moalboal is a small town where people go diving. Compare that to a whole island of Siquijor with diving/snorkelling, white sand beaches, a huge triple waterfall, historical sights and faith healers in the mountains.
Dumaguete City is a small city with a small amount of night life on the boulevarde.They call it a university town but as far as I can tell, it only has one university. Compare that to Metro Cebu.
Metro Cebu has
- At least 10 university/colleges
- High class medical facilities such as Chong Hua Hospital
- Historical sights/sites dating back to 1521
- Diving from Mactan island
- Island hopping from Mactan island
- Multiple Beach resorts on Mactan Island where you can pay to use the facilities for the day
- Multiple sports such as Badminton, Tennis, Golf, Ten Pin Bowling, Pool/Billiards, Running, Swimming, Cycling.
- Several cockfighting complexes.
- A couple of the biggest shopping malls in the world, including SM Mall which is the worlds 14th biggest mall.
- Multiple fitness centres
- Multiple swimming pool complexes where you can picnic for the day such as Villa Terisita and Tubod Flowing Waters
- Western style airconditioned digital surround sound cinemas. including an Imax Theatre in SM Mall.
- Multiple locations with live music most nights
- There are a huge number of discos to choose from
- Multiple adult night life in several different areas.
- Multiple dining choices for cuisine from countries such as Japan, India, China, Italy, Thailand etc.
- Multiple fast food outlets
- Multiple coffee shops
- Multiple expat drinking only bars. Usually with large screen TV's for watching sporting programmes
- 3 casinos
- Regular expat get togethers
Cebu province also has several of the top tourist locations in the Philippines such as Bantayan Island and Malapascua Island. It is also a short trip to the famous tourist island of Bohol.
Cebu can also be used as a hub to travel to most of the rest of the Philippines. It also has an international airport for flying to the rest of the world.
May 12, 2012 4:06 PM
May 16, 2012 12:58 AM
6If just for 2 weeks, id probably be just in Cebu. Cebu island has already everything a tourist wants. If you want vibrant nightlife, Cebu City is the place. Scuba diving? Moalboal and Sumilon in the south and Bantayan in the north are great. Kayaking? Aloguinsan in the west is fast becoming a tourist destination with its river cruise adventure and Mactan in the east where there are plenty of resorts to choose from. hiking and biking? Hop on to Dalaguete and climb the highest peak in the island, and believe me, the view is just so wonderful and breathtaking!
Edited by: PIerro
May 18, 2012 5:49 AM
7I really liked Siquijor , great roads , no traffic , good food , stayed a Kiwi Dive Resort 690p night , no night life but a good place to relax and chill out .
(4 star Hotel)
From US$100.02 per night
North LuzonBook now
(3 star Hotel)
From US$73.88 per night
Cebu CityBook now
(0 star Hotel)
From US$8.29 per night