a few last minute questions - Tehran.
Replies: 5 - Last Post: Apr 19, 2012 12:02 AM Last Post By: takeshi_kovacs
Apr 12, 2012 1:45 AM
a few last minute questions - Tehran.Hello all,
My trip begins in a bit over 24h and here are a few last minute questions, mainly concerning my logistics in Tehran.
1. Could you please point me to a good trekking shop or two? I will need to buy a gas canister (screw on type, such as Primus).
2. I will be staying close to Imam Khomeini Sq. Is there a fairly big supermarket in the vincinity? (I know about the bazaar).
3. What is the current street rate for USD/IRR? Xe.com shows 11 335, but I expect this to be the official rate.
4. Which underground station is currently closest to IKA? I've read about plans of connecting the underground to the airport, but assume this is still work in progress.
5. Being a long-distance runner, I am a bit worried about the gap in training caused by my trip and consider taking my running shoes with me. Will I look out of place running in a park in a major city?
6. Finally, are there any hamams worth visiting in Tehran, Shiraz, Isfahan and Yazd?
Apr 12, 2012 9:14 AM
1Hi again Miro,
1- There are many trekking/sport shops in the following area which you may find different gas catridge/canister: Vali Asr Ave., Near Moniriyeh Sq. Tehran.
3- Approx 1 USD= 18800 Rls, (free markets 12 April 2012).
4- It is not completed yet! (as far as I know),
5- Athough there is a big park near the area called Park Shahr, but it is not recommended to do training in Tehran city centre due to weather pollution.
Enjoy your travel to Iran.
Apr 12, 2012 12:37 PM
Apr 13, 2012 5:56 AM
Apr 13, 2012 10:47 AM
I bought a primus Eta Solo for $70 last week from a shop in Tajrish pasag miri.Shop's name is Damavand.tel is 22714772
Another shop is Dona in Golhak .Tel is 22841564
You can go to Tajrish and Golhak by Metro(underground train)
rate for $1 is 19000rials (1900 tomans).You can change in sarafi .
If you like to run you can go to norh of tehran by metro.and run in Parks. park Jamshidiye and Darabad are good places for running.Wheather in north of Tehran is very good now.
Have good trip
Apr 19, 2012 12:02 AM
As for trekking shops - I've only had to buy a gas canister and managed to find one in one of the numerous hunting/fishing shops on Ferdosi St.
As for getting to the city from the airport - as a you correctly observed, the underground does not reach IKA yet. In the middle of the night there was no bus to Khomeini Sq, but there was one to the Azadi Terminal. I ended up taking a taxi.
Currently in Isfahan, waiting for a bus to Yasuj. Hoping to get to Sisakht before dark. Or shortly after. :-)