Wat Yai Suwannaram

sights / Religious

Wat Yai Suwannaram information

Phetchaburi (Phetburi) , Thailand
Th Phongsuriya
Opening hours
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

This expansive temple compound was originally built in Ayuthaya during the 17th century and was moved to Phetchaburi and renovated during the reign of Rama V (King Chulalongkorn; r 1868–1910). Legend has it that the gash in the ornately carved wooden doors of the lengthy wooden săh·lah (often spelt as sala ) dates to the Burmese attack. The faded murals inside the bòht date back to the 1730s.

Next to the bòht , set on a murky pond, is a beautifully designed old hŏr đrai (Tripitaka library), though these days it’s home only to pigeons.