Wat Phra Kaew Don Tao

sights / Religious

Lonely Planet review

The main chedi shows Hariphunchai influence, while the adjacent mon·dòp (the small square-sided building with a spire in a wát) was built in 1909. A display of Lanna artefacts can be viewed in the wát's Lanna Museum .

Adjacent to the temple complex, Wat Suchadaram dates back to 1809 and is named after Mae Suchada, the central figure in a local legend.

Wat Phra Kaew Don Tao's mon·dòp , decorated with glass mosaic in typical Burmese style, contains a Mandalay-style Buddha image. From 1436 to 1468, Wat Phra Kaew Don Tao was among four wát in northern Thailand to have housed the Emerald Buddha (now in Bangkok's Wat Phra Kaew).