Located about 2km north of town along the Bububu road, Livingstone House was built around 1860 and used as a base by many of the...
Offers a wide range of quality upmarket tours on Zanzibar, Pemba and beyond. Their office is diagonally opposite Ciné Afrique.
This domed building, formerly the Peace Memorial Museum and now an archive, dates to 1925, when it was inaugurated as a memorial to the...
A happening sports bar that draws mainly an expat crowd.
Mtoni Marine Centre
Mtoni Marine’s well-regarded main restaurant has a range of seafood and meat grills, and waterside barbecues several times weekly,...
Lonely Planet review
This once-imposing palace, 4km north of Zanzibar Town, was built by Sultan Barghash in 1882 to house his large harem. In 1899 it was almost totally destroyed by fire, although the remaining ruins (primarily columns that once supported an upper terrace, an overhead aqueduct and small reservoirs covered with water lilies) hint at its previous scale. The ruins are just west of the Bububu road and signposted.