On the northern edge of the souqs, this is the younger sibling (by 10 years) of the Umayyad Mosque in Damascus. Its most impressive...
The great gateway of the magnificent Khan al-Jumruk, completed in 1574, is the largest and most impressive of Aleppo's khans. At one...
Hammam Na'eem, also known as Hammam al-Jedida, is a quiet, clean, friendly, men-only place north of the main souq street. To find it,...
Restaurant-Coffee Shop Ahlildar
Overlooking the entrance to the Great Mosque, this fine restaurant means you can eat and then return to the souqs without having to...
Madrassa Halawiyya information
Opposite the western entrance of the mosque, the Madrassa Halawiyya was built in 1245 as a theological college on the site of what was the 6th-century Cathedral of St Helen. The prayer hall incorporates all that remains of the cathedral, a semicircular row of six columns with intricately decorated, acanthus-leaved capitals. The cathedral was seized by the Muslims in 1124 in response to atrocities committed by the Crusaders. The madrassa was undergoing restoration work at the time of writing, but remained open.