- Circumnavigation of the Matterhorn
- Experiencing the exhilaration of trekking in the European Alps
- Traversing high passes and walking through typical villages
- Enjoying the culinary specialties such as Raclette
- Sharing your walking day with a group of like minded travellers
Tour description provided by World Expeditions
The Matterhorn, or Cervin, is one of the world's most renowned and historical mountains. A near perfect pyramid, it stands at an altitude of 4478m above sea level, and is surrounded by some of the most spectacular alpine scenery and typical Swiss villages. The trail around the Matterhorn crosses between Italy and Switzerland, adding a cultural dimension to the journey. With high passes and steep ascents aided by steel ropes it is one of our more challenging hikes. However, with a good level of fitness and prior outdoor experience, this is an immensely rewarding traverse affording spectacular views throughout including some of the highest peaks in the Alps such as Dent Blanche (4357m) and Zinalrothorn (4221m).
- 7 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 7 dinners (does not include drinks) – continental breakfasts are served and usually consist of breads, jams, coffee, tea and juices. lunch is picnic style - (swiss cheese, cold cuts, vegetables and fresh fruit). dinner will consist of 2 or 3 courses which may include regional specialties (eg fondu or rösti).
- 7 nights accommodation in mountain refuges / gîte hostels on a dormitory share basis.
- Luggage transfer (max 10kgs)
- Experienced mountain guide
- Day 1 - Arrive St Niklaus, walk to Grüben (6hrs)
- Day 2 - Cross the Forcletaz Pass (2874m) to Zinal at the base of Dent Blanche (5 to 6hrs)
- Day 3 - Walk to the village of Villa, transfer to Arolla (6hrs)
- Day 4 - Ascend glacier & the Col Collon (3082m), descend to Prarayer (2000m) (7 to 8hrs)
- Day 5 - To Breuil Cervinia (5hrs)
- Day 6 - Walk to the famous ski resort of Zermatt (8hrs)
- Day 7 - Walk to Europa Hütte (7hrs)
- Day 8 - Walk to Grächen (5 to 5.5hrs), trip concludes