Square, Plaza sights in Switzerland
- Sort by:
Neuchâtel's so-called Commune Libre du Neubourg et Alentours - a good mate of Paris' Montmartre (a self-declared free commune since 1920) - boils down to a good excuse to party. Founded in 1979, it embraces a trio of Old Town streets - Rue de Neubourg, Rue des Fausses-Brayes and colourfully frescoed Rue des Chavannes, otherwise dubbed Rue des Peintres (Painters' St).
It has the free-thinking motto 'voir d'un œil sentir de l'autre' (look with one eye, feel with the other) scribed as a footnote on the unofficial street sign pinned up next to the official one.
The name of medieval Place de la Palud suggests that this 9th-century market square was originally bogland. For five centuries it has been home to the city government, now housed in the 17th-century Hôtel de Ville. To get here from the cathedral, a covered timber stairway leads down to Rue Pierre Viret, from where two more stairways lead further downhill, one to the modern Pl de la Riponne and the other to Pl de la Palud.