go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Working and volunteering


Non-EU citizens require an offer of paid employment prior to their arrival in Sweden. They need to apply for a work permit (and residence permit for stays over three months), enclosing confirmation of the job offer, completed forms (available from Swedish diplomatic posts or over the internet), two passport photos and their passport. Processing takes six to eight weeks, and there’s a non-refundable application fee of Skr2000 (Skr1000 for athletes, performers and a few other job categories).

Australians and New Zealanders aged 18 to 30 years can qualify for a one-year working-holiday visa. Full application details are available online through Migrationsverket.

Work permits are only granted if there’s a shortage of Swedish workers (or citizens from EU countries) with certain in-demand skills; speaking Swedish may be essential for the job. Students enrolled in Sweden can take summer jobs, but these can be hard to find and such work isn’t offered to travelling students.

Plenty of helpful information can be found online from the Arbetsförmedlinga (Swedish National Labour Market Administration; www.arbetsformedlingen.se).

Want to Live & Work in Sweden Teaching English? Partner Content

If you’d like to spend more time in Sweden than a vacation allows, experiencing what it’s like to live and make a difference to the local community, it’s all possible by Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) with i-to-i TEFL. No previous teaching experience or local language knowledge is necessary. Get your free i-to-i TEFL e-book now to find out more about TEFL, what TEFL jobs are available and how it can get you exploring the globe...

Get your free TEFL e-book and find out how to start a new life in Sweden