Parroquia del Divino Salvador

sights / Architecture

Parroquia del Divino Salvador information

Location
Seville , Spain
Address
Plaza Salvador
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The Plaza Salvador, which has a few popular bars, was once the forum of Roman Hispalis. It's dominated by the Parroquia del Salvador, a big baroque church built between 1674 and 1712 on the site of Muslim Ishbiliya's main mosque. Before the mosque, early Christian churches stood here, and before them, a Roman temple.

At the time of writing the church was closed for restoration work and archaeological investigation, but on its northern side, the mosque's small patio remains open, with a few half-buried Roman columns.