Caliphs and Knights: Cordoba & Segura
- Relive the 13th century in Andalusia, in the town of Baeza and the Crusader villages of Hornos and Segura
- Cordoba city, with the unique mosque cathedral, the castle with its magnificent water gardens, the hammam of the Caliphs, the picturesque Jewish quarter and the famous patios.
- Mountain walks in two magnificent Andalusian natural parks
- Friendly, family run hotels, bars and restaurants with delicious local dishes
- Visit Zuheros, one of the most beautiful 'white villages'
- Madinat al-Zahra, city-palace of the Caliphs
Tour description provided by World Expeditions
This inspiring walking tour takes you back to the Middle Ages, where you can relive the 13th Century in Andalusia. Explore the inspiring ruins of Madinat al-Zahra, the city-palace of the Caliphs, the town of Baeza, the Crusader villages of Hornos and Segura and the picturesque villages of eastern Andalusia, dominated by the castles of the knights of Santiago.A central focus of the tour is in Cordoba city, with its unique mosque cathedral, the castle with its magnificent water gardens, the Caliphal baths, the picturesque Jewish quarter and the patios. Discover on foot the landscapes of two superb Natural Parks, the Subbética Cordobesa and the Sierras of Cazorla and Segura — the biggest in Spain (2140 km2) and one of Europe's largest. Little known outside Spain, this is an idyllic area for both walkers and naturalists, with its great variety of flora and fauna and interesting landscapes including impressive gorges and forested limestone crags.
- 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 1 afternoon snack, 6 dinners (does not include drinks) - breakfasts are continental inclusive of bread or toast with butter and jam or fresh tomato and olive oil, juice and tea or coffee. lunch will be either an individual picnic or communal buffet-picnic, or a set menu, starting with salad, gazpacho, hors d'oeuvres, soup, rice or pasta, followed by either a chicken, egg, red meat or fish dish and finishing with a dessert of fruit, crême caramel, etc. dinner will usually be a set 3 course-meal; there will also be the opportunity to try 'raciones' (nothing to do with being rationed!): a choice of giant 'tapas' to pick from, 'andalusian style' (no formal courses or dessert). the evening meal of day 6 and the lunch of day 7 are not included. please note in spain dinners are generally served between 8.00pm – 9.30pm.
- 7 nights in small family-run 2 star hotels on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities
- Transfer to and from malaga – transfers are at/before 2.30pm on day 1 and the earliest you will arrive in malaga on day 8 is 10:30am
- Experienced walking guide
- Luggage transfer and internal transfers where specified
- Day 1 Transfer from Málaga to Hornos
- Day 2 Walk of the Rio Madera (4hrs); optional short walk (1hr) in Hornos Valley
- Day 3 The Yelmo, with panoramic views and the Tranco Lake ancient salt pans (5hrs)
- Day 4 The Trujala walk (4.5hrs) and visit to Segura de la Sierra village
- Day 5 The Parque Cinegetico & the Rio Borosa gorge (4hrs), visit Baeza, transfer to Zuheros
- Day 6 Walk of the Bailon gorge (5hrs)
- Day 7 Visit to Cordoba city and its main monuments, as well as Madinat al-Zahra
- Day 8 Transfer to Málaga, trip concludes