Bangkok to Singapore on a Shoestring
Bangkok to Singapore on a Shoestring information and booking
Explore the streets of bustling Bangkok, stop by Penang's Chinese shop houses, glimpse beautiful green vistas in the the Cameron Highlands, dive into multicultural Kuala Lumpur, visit three diverse countries in two weeks.
Tour description provided by G Adventures
Bliss out on world-class beaches in exotic southern Thailand before cooling off in the Cameron Highlands of Malaysia. This 2-week tour will introduce you to three diverse nations—and three of the region’s most vibrant cities. Sample street food or hit Bangkok’s clubs with other travellers your own age—so you can be sure to get down with those that’ll keep up. With your hotel and transport arranged by our CEOs, you can concentrate on choosing your own adventure: pack your trip with everything you want and nothing you don't.
- Day 1 Bangkok
- You can arrive at any time on day 1 as there are no activities planned. Meet your Chief Experience Officer (CEO) around 6pm for a meeting. Please check at reception for a notice detailing the actual time and place for a group meeting and optional dinner on the evening of Day 1. Our hotel is located in China Town, next to the central train station and MRT (Subway), and is only a short USD2 taxi ride from Khao San road and the central shopping area of Siam Square, MBK, Siam Paragon, etc. All rooms are double or twin share with air conditioning and en suite bathroom. The hotel has a small pool and wifi and computers are available at extra cost.
- Days 2 Bangkok (1B)
- Enjoy a street food crawl with the group and CEO while in Bangkok. Bring your appetites and your wallets, and the CEO will bring you to the best spots and teach you a bit about the local street food. Undoubtedly the best way to get around Bangkok is by water taxi, as the streets are often crazy with traffic. From the Chao Phraya River you have an excellent view of this vast metropolis. Perhaps take a longtail boat to explore the canals of Bangkok. The life that goes on along these canals seems like a different world. We also recommend visiting Wat Pho, home of the reclining Buddha. You can have a traditional Thai massage either here, at a school that teaches massage within the temple, or choose somewhere near the hotel - this is highly recommended! In the evening of Day 2, we catch an overnight sleeper train to Surat Thani in the south of Thailand. Approx travel times: Train Bangkok to Surat Thani (November to April): 12-13 hours Train Bangkok to Chumporn (May to October): 7-8 hours
- Day 3-5 Koh Samui/Krabi (1B, 1L)
- For trips departing May through October: Take a short boat ride to the island of Koh Samui and spend the next few days exploring the island's beautiful beaches and vibrant nightlife. Included full-day snorkeling excursion to Ang Thong Marine Park. Lying off of Thailand’s east coast in the Gulf of Thailand, Koh Samui offers everything you could possibly want in a tropical retreat: white sandy beaches, coconut palms, fresh seafood and warm, clear waters. With an area of 247 square kilometers, Koh Samui is the largest island in an archipelago of around 80 islands. We stay in a resort that is located a stone's throw away from the beach and has all the amenities that you may require, including a bar and swimming pool. All of our rooms are twin share and come with an en suite bathroom. For trips departing November through April: Transfer to Krabi and enjoy a few days on the beach on the Andaman Sea. Included full-day snorkelling trip to Koh Phi Phi.
- Day 6-7 Penang (1B)
- You will have an early start today. Once you arrive in Penang you have the option of a bicycle-rickshaw to meander through the streets and lanes of Georgetown. You can also see colourful bazaars, bargain at the night markets or visit numerous Chinese temples. If time allows, a visit to the Butterfly Farm on the north of the island offers a great insight into Malaysia's fascinating insects. Penang has something to offer everyone. Food is also a treat here, with an impressive variety from Chinese to Malay and Indian. Don't miss the waterfront night market that serves up excellent local food. Our hotel in Penang is located on the outskirts of the city center and comes with comfortable twin and double share rooms with en suite bathrooms. The hotel also has free wifi in all the rooms. Approx travel times: Boat and private bus from Koh Samui to Satun: 6.5 hours (not including border crossing) Private bus from Satun to Penang: 4.5 hours
- Day 8-9 Cameron Highlands
- This morning take a private bus and head for the hills. The Cameron Highlands hill station is one of Malaysia's most famous. Our hotel is situated in the town of Tanah Rata. Established in 1885 by William Cameron, a British surveyor, the hill station is famous for its tea plantations and strawberry farms. The drive takes us from the flat lowlands through to mountainous terrain. In your free time you may want to take a walk along one of the many well marked trails, visit the tea plantations or just relax and enjoy the cooler temperatures! Our hotel is located a 2 minute walk from the town of Tanah Rata. All of the rooms have a fan and an en suite bathroom and a balcony. There is a communal lounge area to watch movies. There is internet and wifi available for an additional charge. Approx travel times: Private bus from Penang to the Cameron Highlands: 6 hours
- Days 10-11 Kuala Lumpur
- We take private transport to Kuala Lumpur. We will arrive in the afternoon and have ample time to see the city's impressive architecture and experience the fascinating cultural mix that gives this city such a uniquely cosmopolitan feel. You might like to head out of town to visit the famous Batu Caves or the Orang Asli Museum, north of town. The evening is best spent at the night market sampling the different cuisine, some of the best in South East Asia and bargain hunting among the stalls of Chinatown's night market. And don't forget a visit to the Petronas Towers,the tallest twin towers in the world. Our hotel is located in a quiet area, in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. The rooms all come with a fan and en suite bathrooms. Computers are available for an extra charge and there is free wifi in the hotel. Approx travel time: Private bus Cameroon Highlands to Kuala Lumpur: 4 hours.
- Day 12 Melaka
- A public bus journey takes us to the old port town of Melaka where we can wander the narrow streets and absorb the atmosphere of this historically important town. With the beginning of trade with China in the early 15th Century, Melaka rapidly became the most important trading port in South East Asia. Chinese traders were followed by those from India. With them came Islam and soon the Melaka sultans ruled the largest empire in Malaysia's history. Successively the Portuguese, Dutch and British arrived in search of trading wealth. While the effects of recent economic growth are apparent, Melaka remains one of Malaysia's premier destinations. The streets of Chinatown are lined with Peranakan (Straits Chinese) shophouses offering their traditional cuisine, Nyonya. There are temples, churches and mosques, museums and forts to explore. Our hotel is located in the heart of Melaka, close to the World Heritage sites. The rooms are comfortable twin and double share with air conditioning. There is free wifi at the hotel. Approx travel times: Public bus from Kuala Lumpur to Melaka: 3 hours Transfer to hotel: 15 min
- Days 13 Singapore
- In the morning we take a public bus journey to the Straits of Johore and onto the island of Singapore. Tonight you could visit the world famous night safari, take in a harbour cruise around Boat Quay or sample some mouth watering local food at one of the many hawker street stands. Whilst Singapore has few areas untouched by modernization, wandering the streets of Little India and Chinatown is a great way to see the old parts of the city. Our hotel is located in the heart of Singapore. The rooms all come with air conditioning and en suite bathrooms. Computers and wifi are available in the hotel for an additional charge. Approx travel times: Hotel to bus station: 30 min Public bus from Melaka to Singapore: 4-5 hours (not including border crossing) Transfer to hotel in Singapore: 15 min
- Day 14 Singapore 1B)
- Our tour finishes today and you may depart at any time. We look forward to receiving your evaluation regarding this tour itinerary and your CEO's performance. We value your input into what we could improve to make this trip even better and of course love hearing about what we are already doing well! You will be sent a post tour email on your return with details on how to go on line and fill in this simple form. Thank you so much in advance.