Slovenski Trg information
Lonely Planet review
Murkova ulica, lined with interesting old houses, leads westward from Mestni trg to funnel-shaped Slovenski trg, the heart of old Ptuj. In the centre, the City Tower (Mestni Stolp) was erected in the 16th century. Roman tombstones and sacrificial altars from Poetovio were incorporated into the walls in the 1830s – check the reliefs of Medusa’s head, dolphins, a man with grapes and a man on horseback.
In front of the City Tower stands the 5m-tall Orpheus Monument (Orfejev Spomenik), a Roman tombstone from the 2nd century with scenes from the Orpheus myth. It was used as a pillory in the Middle Ages.
Behind the City Tower is the Church of St George (Cerkev Sv Jurija). The church contains some lovely mid-15th-century choir chairs decorated with animals, a carved relief of the Epiphany dating from 1515 and frescoes in the middle of the south aisle, and the Laib Altar , a three-winged altar painting (1460). Near the entrance is a carved 14th-century statue of St George slaying the dragon.
On the northern side of the square are several interesting buildings, including the 16th-century Provost’s House , the baroque Old Town Hall and Ljutomer House , now housing the TIC, whose Mediterranean-style loge was built in 1565.