Parish Church of St Cantianus
A beautiful plaza, Glavni trg (Main Square) is populated by Gothic and Renaissance buildings; the ones on the western side with their...
To the north of the Church of the Holy Rosary (at the end of Tomšičeva ulica northwest of Pungert) is a lengthy section of the restored...
Church of the Holy Rosary
At the end of Tomšičeva ulica northwest of Pungert is the Church of the Holy Rosary, built in the 16th century. It was a Protestant...
This provincial theatre is very active, staging four plays and up to 200 performances a year. Note the rather dashing statue of Prěseren...
The large market northeast of the Church of St Cantianus sells mostly fruit and vegetables.
Glavni trg · interesting places nearby
Parish Church of St Cantianus information
The Parish Church of St Cantianus, which was built on to part of an older church starting in about 1400, is the best example of a hall church (ie one with a nave and aisles of equal height) in Slovenia. The Mount of Olives relief in the arch above the main portal dating from 1450 is well worth a look before entering, as is the modern altar (1934) designed by Ivan Vurnik. Below the north side of the church there are more old bones from early Slavic graves and a medieval ossuary.
On the south wall is a lapidarium of tombstones dating from the Middle Ages and nearby the Fountain of St John Nepomuk, with a stone statue of the 14th-century Bohemian martyr complete with a doleful-looking octopus in the water.