Kidričeva Ulica

Kidričeva Ulica information

Location
Koper , Slovenia
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

One of the most colourful streets in Koper, Kidričeva ulica starts at Carpacciov trg, where the Column of St Justina (Steber Sv Justine) commemorates Koper’s contribution – a galley – to the Battle of Lepanto in which Turkey was defeated by the European powers in 1571. Just north is a large Roman covered basin that now serves as a fountain. At the western end of the square is the large arched Taverna , a one time salt warehouse dating from the 15th century.

On the north side of Kidričeva ulica there are several churches from the 16th century, including the Church of St Nicholas , some restored Venetian houses and the 18th-century baroque Totto Palace , with winged lion relief. Opposite the palace are some wonderful medieval town houses , with protruding upper storeys painted in a checked red, yellow and green pattern.

The 17th-century Belgramoni-Tacco Palace houses the Koper Regional Museum , which has displays of old maps and photos, Italianate sculptures and paintings dating from the 16th to 18th centuries, copies of medieval frescoes and a garden with Roman remains. The museum’s ethnological collection is in a 17th-century building in the eastern section of the Old Town.