Mine sights in Idrija
- Sort by:
The 18th-century Chapel of the Holy Trinity in the Anthony Mine Shaft contains statues of St Barbara, the patroness of miners, and St Ahacius, on whose feast day (22 June) rich deposits of cinnabar were discovered.
One of the most interesting examples of mining technology that still exists is the Kamšt, a 13.6m water wheel made of wood that was used to pump the water out of flooded mines from 1790 until 1948. It is about 1.5km southeast of Mestni trg.